How to reduce the DiScourse server costs

product owner
product OWNER

2 Likes

Probably better to avoid non UK/EU hosting if possible as it eases any potential data concerns in the future. Location is important in current data privacy rules.

Happy to set up something on AWS or GCP if your options don’t pan out.

4 Likes

just realized that because of the way I display dis (i.e. all threads from different sections are visible on the same page) that there may be people on the music and social boards that aren’t seeing this. Is it worth pinning this on both of them, along with the funding discussion thread etc, just so everyone has a chance to see it? its currently on site feedback only atm.

1 Like

I did wonder if AWS, GCP or Azure might be worth exploring too. Were you thinking just a VM? One benefit might be that during a proof of concept we could just switch it off when not being used, although suspect would still end up costing more than the Fasthosts / Ionos option.

would using a cloud service like AWS or GCP be possibly more difficult and require more ‘expertise’ than hosting a private server or is there not much of a difference? I suppose it’d be more straightforward from a security pov.

Don’t think a huge difference - seem to be Discourse forum threads covering the install on all 3 options too. Not sure there is much difference security wise either.

3 Likes

Haven’t looked too closely at the install guides yet, but there’s a few options - AWS Lightsail is basically just a VPC option, I run my own site from a VM at the moment, or we could just run the Docker container(s) in a container service. Any of them could be turned on/off at a moments notice… or indeed resized to a more suitable option.

No simple answer to this I’m afraid mate. It could be done as basically a private server in the same way as say Fasthosts, but could also be done in a more complicated way - with reliability benefits, but financial/complexity costs.

I’d suggest that at least at this stage a small private server would do for testing purposes - could be Fasthosts if @megalithicrock is cool to speak to them, if not I can look at spinning up a Lightsail server on my AWS account so we can at least look at what a base install looks like.

3 Likes

Sounds good, although still think setting up on more than one platform is probably worth doing too. Hasn’t been much chat about storage - wonder if there is any way of seeing how much the existing site is using from the Discourse control panel, or if not if Discourse would give us some idea?

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good call actually. Also good to have a couple of people experience the install too.

2 Likes

I had the worst experience of my life because of a poster on here. He was a semi prolific user, everyone thought he was harmless, and I got chatting to him. I really liked him, I thought he was fun until he wasn’t fun any more and he scared the shit out of me. At around the same time I’d started chatting to another guy on here, who is still a prolific poster, and I told him about my experience with the previous man and how scared I was. And for the the record I’m not an easily frightened person, I’m six foot and built like a rugby player and it takes a lot to genuinely scare me but this man did.
Anyway, a man across the road started masturbating at me. First night, funny. Fifth night… less funny. I told said second man on the phone as I cried.
Eventually I didn’t want to sleep with second man and instead of being normal and nice about it, he makes contact with first man to not only give him my address but to tell him what a “stupid slut” I am. And then he sends me a DM telling me what a “whore” I am, and berates me massively for “making him look bad.”

This man is your friend. Mental :smiley:

1 Like

def worth trying both platforms if we can imo,

Lightsail looks really similar to Digital Ocean and the ‘droplet’ thing to me, so would probs be worth testing it on AWS since it could presumably move over to Digital Ocean or something similar with similar pricing implications.

Really sorry this happened. Sounds horrendous. I hope you have got the support needed since then (bit confused if this is the thread you meant to reply to though, but clearly that isn’t really important).

4 Likes

Omg that’s awful, what a horrible experience

2 Likes

I’m not a programmer but can’t @whiterussian add another piece of code to this platform?

Something like

If pageviews = 100 000 000 !remove! 000

Like I say I’m no expert

That is truly disgusting behaviour and I’m sorry that you had to experience it.

2 Likes

horrific. I’m so sorry you have been put through this.

1 Like

Only thing I will say is that in my limited experience AWS support isn’t too bad, and there are a lot of decent communities that share knowledge for troubleshooting

1 Like

What the fuck, that’s awful! I just don’t know what to feel about this place anymore, so much nasty shit and people with trauma from being here. Maybe at a minimum DMs ought to be disabled to prevent predatory men from doing this shit

6 Likes

Hi @kermitwormit - absolutely awful that you have been put through this and the behaviour of the individuals you’ve mentioned is utterly abhorrent. I wouldn’t call anybody who had acted in this way a friend of mine.

Think it feels quite important to establish whether you meant to post specifically in this thread. No problem if you did, and we can discuss this situation which is far more important than playing around with some techy stuff.

2 Likes

I’ve messaged kermo about this now and will of course move the post or whatever if she wants me to.

8 Likes