How unreasonable do you think it is...

…for the government to suggest that, in a time of national crisis, some ‘creatives’ might want to have a look at working in a office for six months?

I feel genuinely conflicted on it. I fucking abhor this current government and would gladly slap a few of them, and quite a lot of people whose opinions I respect are calling it out as total bullshit, but at the same time I was sort of brought up to never turn your nose up to or at work.

If we can put the sadly unrealistic ideals of a functioning welfare state for all, and the cynical diversionary tactics of these charlatans, to one side, is there any sort of reasonable middle ground here, where you can think we’ve moved too far away from valuing manual or semi-skilled work without being glibly written off as a massive gammon?

I expect the answer’s no, but I’m interested in if there’s any sort of range of opinion on it.

2 Likes

Most creatives I know work a second job anyway

7 Likes

this times a million

99% of them work second jobs and the type of work they’re doing in those jobs… has been fucked over massively, eg. bar work

6 Likes

by January there’s gonna be 100 applicants for any entry level job

the only way of preventing a huge generation of destitute creatives is to fund a large welfare or education programme

but there’s fuck all chance of that happening, so destitution it is

10 Likes

There’s already, before Covid, many more applicants per job than that.

I do second jobs. Some of the jobs I apply for there’s in excess of a thousand applicants.

also I’m sure I read that one of the reasons the 80s punk scenes created such a massive explosion of great music was that it was easy to sign on

Thatcher and Reagan knew that unemployment would go up, so made it easy to sign on to try and prevent people from rioting in protest

but now the war has been waged on the welfare state so effectively that there’s no way the same will happen

3 Likes

There already is. I applied for a job as a retail manager at a local coffee shop/bakery chain and was declined and messaged that there were 280 applicants and theyd closed the job 2wks earlier than advertised.

To me, that’s not a lot of people. Even before Covid many entry-level jobs would have hundreds and even thousands of applicants. System is fucked up.

bleak

(my office froze recruitment in March so we’ve not recruited for entry level staff in ages)

Did they suggest bankers could work in the arts after the financial crash, or did they just throw cash at the situation? Asking for a friend.

25 Likes

I used to use a few agencies. One of them, might have been Reed, made the number of applications public. I’m going back two years, but I was applying for data entry and warehouse jobs and the count was over 1,500 per vacancy.

People that have to will try and find those sorts of jobs, there just won’t be any of them.
The few people I know in ‘creative’ jobs, like acting etc are all independently wealthy, hence they can try and carve out a career in that line anyway.

Fair post.

it’s genuinely fucking terrifying to think about what those numbers will look like a) right now and b) in the spring

It’s already been said but I imagine a lot of people working in the arts (at least lower down) have other work as well already

I’d also question what types of jobs they should be applying for…are these office jobs that are actually beneficial to society in any way? Or just jobs for jobs sake?

the only solution is UBI

I was never in favour of it pre-pandemic, but now I just can’t see any other solution

3 Likes

I don’t know if your experiences are true of a wider scale.

Most people I know of (mates of mates, etc) who’ve made a few quid acting or with music have genuinely been working class. Perhaps it’s a geographical thing, idk.

I mean, I find it funny that there are some really entitled rich kids out there thinking they’re Bob Dylan. I signed on once and heard someone saying they were only interested in acting work. Just think it’s a very, very tiny minority who are massively entitled and away with the fairies.

Not to mention the fact that the arts in the UK is one of it’s biggest and most successful exporters

3 Likes

I don’t really understand this sentence.

If it rings true then surely everybody signing on should just dismiss jobs as not beneficial to society?

any job that’s left by next summer will be a job that’s been looked at by the employer, and deemed financially necessary

the idea of a job existing for the sake of it existing only makes sense in times when there’s enough money sloshing around the economy for those jobs to be paid for

as redundancies start to really hit, the economy is going to be very lacking in capacity for unnecessary jobs

1 Like