How would you describe the DiS community to someone who has never used it

In a sentence or two:

For a while I’ve been calling it:

A warm huddle at an internet outpost. It’s kinda the ‘indie the mumsnet’.

Not really sure the word ‘indie’ really means what it did a decade or more ago and obviously the social boards are less about music.

Anyway, thought this would also be a nice thread for new users to see to better understand who we are.

Not ^this :grimacing:

15 Likes

Not this

5 Likes

Le notthisoi

6 Likes

Kind of like Twitter but with a music section.

see it as kind of an alternate timeline of what the internet could have been if the mass abandoning of forums hadn’t happened. think a lot of people really miss places where you know people by their username and can just engage in banal chat. the megacorps like reddit, facebook and twitter don’t really accommodate that.

‘an alternate version of the internet. too many puns’.

9 Likes

To be more constructive, I like this:

I personally also wouldn’t make it about music because I feel there’s so much more to this community than just that these days.

2 Likes

Pun-centric online dating site with polls

1 Like

TBH I tend to keep DiS separate from the rest of my life so it’s only really Mrs CCB who knows about it.

But I’d probably say something like: “remember those old internet forums / discussion groups that were around 15-20 years ago? It’s kinda like one of those, but it’s evolved into something good”

1 Like

the funniest, most interesting, thoughtful people that you’ve ever met are probably off doing something so we come here to chat about crisps on the internet

24 Likes

seriously though, remember the dark ages when we didn’t have polls.

2 Likes

the game of life: now in pog form

3 Likes

I think I hate polls

1 Like
  • 2 week sit in the sin-bin for the nikkers
  • agree with her tbh

0 voters

I don’t mind polls within threads, but poll threads make my brain melt. STOP MAKING ME MAKE SO MANY DECISIONS!

6 Likes

DiS: Another place for Simpsons memes

1 Like

DiS: where everybody knows your avatar

2 Likes

hot malcolms in your area

3 Likes

Real people “from [imaginery] gigs”

5 Likes