How's your career / existential crisis going?

bit worried, I work pretty closely with another person, we work well together because he can do things I can’t and vice versa and he is the only one who really understands what I do, now he is leaving and think i’m going to flounder big time, will probably get pushed into a more generic role rather than this niche we had carved out together, which I will be way over my head in

Terribly for me. I’ve got a promotion that I didn’t want (I’m now BMS2). I hate my job don’t want the responsibility but seem to be in the minority at work that is able to do my safely as it has an impact on people.

I’m a bit embarrassed of sharing mine tbh but more and more lately, I’ve been wanting to be a spin instructor.
First of all, i’m definitely not fit enough. Normal spin classes kill me and I have to take breaks. Secondly, I’m very shy. I’m worried i’ll go through the whole process and not actually be able to do it. Even just thinking about asking the spin teacher how you get started is giving me The Fear.

I don’t want to do it for a full time job or anything but maybe teach like 1 or 2 classes a week in addition to my normal job.

WHAT FUELS YOUR FIRE

The job’s now gone to someone else because she didn’t bother booking me a replacement interview.

ffs :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

got a job interview on monday, they ask for a lot of experience and the ad said salary negotiable and to send salary expectations which I did. today they reposted the ad and put a minimum salary which is about 10k lower than what I said I’d expect :grimacing:

should i just bin it off? full disclosure: it’s fucking miles away and will take about 2 hours to get there.

• go
  • bin

0 voters

body too similar rfragahg

If you’ve been freelancing for a long time you may not have done a formal job interview for years, so it’s good practice and also gets your face known at another company.

I have disagreed with your vote but fully agree with this advice, and so will change my opinion.

Annual appraisal thing this afternoon kill me now

Bin. Will you actually take it if it was offered to you cause of salary/location?

Go.

The minimum salary is just that, the minimum. Wow them with your experience and skills and they’ll be prepared to pay more.

And if they don’t, it’s a bit more interview experience, which will help with the next interview.

i mean even as a minimum salary, it’s pretty paltry for the kind of experience they’re asking for. idkkk.

Still find it hilarious that i used to get €180 a day in expenses and had free sauna, squash courts and gym and didn’t have to do any work and had an amazing life. Now doing a graduate entry level position for like nothing in a really expensive city.

this is in many ways a metaphor for brexit

fuck that m9

do go to the interview for practise tho

@laelfy I’ll reply here just to make sure no danger of derailing! Imo the uncertainty over the future of the Physician Associate role is around being untested at scale in the UK so far rather than any risk of it ‘disappearing if the NHS does’.

PA’s are established in American healthcare (so if that’s anything to go by, they would probably flourish in a post NHS system :face_with_raised_eyebrow:), but there’s still a lot of uncertainty over how they will fit into multidisciplinary clinical teams over here. They can’t just be very expensive Health Care Assistants taking bloods and BPs on the one hand and on the other GPs/physicians are likely to be uncomfortable prescribing or operating blind based on histories and assessments they haven’t been part of.

We’ve had a number of PA students in placement over the last year, and the variation in quality is pretty big. Some of the best ones have supported the GP team well, particularly with patients known well to the practice, whereas others have been hopeless and operating at sub-HCA level. I think because the only real prerequisite is a science degree and there’s a decent starting salary. My guess is that the good ones will forge good careers and be an asset to their clinical teams and the others will provide plenty of fuel to those who say they have no place in the NHS.

Also, and significantly the role is currently unregulated (the GMC are considering whether to agree to do so) and medical indemnity may prove tough in the early years. We recently ran an Advanced Practitioner training program with some from physio and paramedic rather than the usual nursing backgrounds - indemnity was really difficult for these non-standard routes - and this is for APs which are now an established role. Insurers tend to lag behind emerging models of care and get twitchy with anything unusual - this could limit employment opportunities.

With that said, I’m playing interested observer currently too - I feel I may fancy a new challenge in a few years time and if PAs do embed themselves, it might be something I look at pursuing. Hope this helps in your considerations - anything else, feel free to ask :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for this, i really appreciate the response. I’m going to ask my bro what he thinks when I see him next week, he’s a consultant and if he turns his nose up that’ll give me a good indicator, I’m not inteterested in a job that isn’t valued. I’m realistically a couple of years off doing it anyway so might keep an eye on the situation, would need another Scottish uni other than Aberdeen to run a course anyway.

after months of whinging and grumbling that my job is shit, I finally got round to applying for a new job. I fully expect to hear nothing back, but it means that I’ve got my CV up to date and in better shape, got the ball rolling on the whole looking for and applying for jobs thing, so it’s a good first step :+1:

been off work for a week, fully expecting a load of shit to have kicked off while I was off so tomorrow is going to be fun :tired_face: