Hygiene rating. Well you dine below five?

Yer man Marco Pierre White’s place in Birmingham got a 0 about a while ago…

It’s now reached the dizzying heights of a 2

Put a roof on it and watch that rating fly up.

Cummin’ Up in Lewisham is one of a handful of restaurants in the borough to have a hygiene rating of zero.

Tasty food mind, and cheap. Plus they feed the local homeless for free over Christmas (beggars being choosers and all that)…

I don’t check these things but I’m probably not going to go back here because of the owner’s attitude towards it:

Not always. It’s only compulsory to display the rating in Wales and NI, not England or Scotland (which has a slightly different system anyway) at the moment.

Used to go here all the time

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/crime-court/holloway_kebab_boss_hit_with_fine_and_ban_for_health_risks_1_1567550

Think it had a 1 rating when i checked as you might expect from reading that article

Also my old man’s got the app on his phone for checking this and he’s fucking OBSESSED with it. Can’t even nip into a pub for a piss without checking its hygiene rating.

I think it’s down to the local authority in England. Waltham Forest made it compulsory.

My dad and brother’s deli has a less than perfect rating, but it was eye opening to hear about how it happens. It really comes down to how the inspector is feeling that day, with a huge amount of personal judgement involved. For example, one of the criticisms was that they considered the sink was too far from the food preparation area, so that they were concerned staff wouldn’t be regularly washing their hands - even though all staff were seen doing it during the inspection, and indeed, do it all the time regardless of being watched. There was no actual measurement involved - just a hunch. And fixing it will involve remodelling the entire kitchen.

would consider a four.

Have eaten here though:
Reading

China Palace - Oxford Road, Reading

The Chinese restaurant was rated zero and told that urgent improvement was necessary at the inspection in November 2015 due to the bad food hygiene and safety.

The restaurants structural compliance also rated poor with little confidence in management.

Blimey, the two places I always meet my dad for lunch in the Jewellery Quarter have got a 1 and 2. The scran and beer in there is really good in 'em too.

1 Like

Thing is, what rating do you reckon your own kitchen would get?

Was just thinking this.

apparently I occasionally buy chinese food from a place with a rating of 2.

Oof. Not sure I ever actually ate there, mind.

Chippy over the road from work had a one rating so he put it up high and turned it upside down to give the appearance of a 4.

No ill effects as yet.

It’s assessed on:

• Hygienic food handling
  • Cleanliness and conditions of facilities
  • Management of food safety

Reckon I could manage a solid 4. Definitely at least a 3 on any day though.

I reckon 3 at most. My imaginary girlfriend insists on chopping salad on the same board as she cuts meat on which I believe is pretty dodgy on a wooden chopping board. One up to the glass chopping boarders it seems.

Mate, we’re professionals in our kitchen. Got 4 separate boards - One for raw meat, one for cooked meat, one for veg and one for other stuff.

3 is the lowest i will go. Although some don’t show it.