Hypothetical crossover sports people (bad thread title)

A few baseball/American football players (Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson probably the most recent notable examples). Also more recently American football has ended up with players who weren’t quite up to playing in the NBA but were pretty great at basketball.

uphill ski jump would be the worst spectator sport ever

1 Like

Ah my bad, I thought it said “Hypothetical crossover sports, people”

second worst after scottish football

10 pin bowling and cricket.

It’s cricket only there are more wickets and you use a bowling ball.

I think most bobsleigh pushers (not necessarily the brake-man) are ex-sprinters these days.

Also, I think most US sprinters started out aiming for the wide receiver role in football.

ten pin bowling and bowls and curling

basically the same thing

Particularly ferocious cleaners would probably make good curlers and vice versa.

Cleaning is a sport if you bet on it.

1 Like

East Grinstead used to have a partnership with Arsenal (when both were sponsored by Emirates) to pull young footballers who weren’t quite going to make it across to hockey. The assumption being that speed and spatial awareness and passing skill would be very transferable. To my knowledge at least one player made it into the England squad.

baseball / cricket is basically the same thing

hit a ball with a bat then run about.

curling = “scottish rules” bowling

Yeah, I was on about Cool Runnings

It’s another fairly common one; generally as third/fourth in the 4 man Bob.

Boxing and rugby

I tried keepy-uppies and frisbee with two friends once, it didn’t go very well

not sure converting from non-tory to massive tory is that easy

Ask xylo

It’s often the way isn’t it - the people who are great at one sport are often great at other.

The gits.

Alan Hansen, for example, represented Scotland at about half a dozen sports before deciding on football.

You’d be surprised how difficult it is to switch between racket sports. The techniques for tennis/badminton/squash are quite different and there aren’t too many people I’ve met who are good at all of them.

I represented my school at half a dozen sports, doesn’t mean I was any good at them