I am listening to... [new rolling listening thread]

Having a Black Sheep Boy revival recently.

Very big on this track especially rn:

Love the overblown, messy running through of lots of the album’s themes.

5 Likes

Making a curry and listening to Moseley Shoals and having a nice time don’t @ me.

Came across this the other day, absolutely slaps. That vocal effect is just :ok_hand:

Also this cover, this whole record tbh

4 Likes

Got the Goatman album on today

One of the guys from Goat making a Fela Kuti album essentially. Lovely stuff.

1 Like

The Rakes - 22 Grand Job

2 Likes

bought a cheap copy of Black Sheep Boy recently. been a very casual Okkervil River fan for a good few years but never worked my way back as far BSB until like a couple of years ago weirdly, and turns out everyone was right about it being their best album by miles. so was listening to it again over Christmas. So Come Back, I Am Waiting is so good.

4 Likes

On a related note I had this album on yesterday

It’s the only one I’ve heard, what others are good, people?

2 Likes

Too lazy to link as on phone.

Global Underground Tony De Vit live in Tel Aviv. This and has Japan mixes are all time favourites.

Thanks to the ‘Your singing voice’ thread I’m listening to Intergalactic Sonic 7s, which is always a good idea

I know Ed Sheeran dullards have made loop pedals passé but I think the vocal interplay here is genuinely really impressive

how have I never listened to Anna Meredith before, holy shit

3 Likes

Definitely see her live if you can. She plays and sings and sorta conducts her band, it is very very good stuff.

She played Leith Theatre in 2018 backed by the Southbank Sinfonia and it was super super super. She was also wearing a great cape.

1 Like

before, I was listening to these for the first time; never bothered until now, but this is warm and nice.

now I’m on this. trying regain my capacity to feel less obviously emotional music, and this is feeling good rn. sensuous. lighting up the neglected, trauma-cordoned areas of my brain.

two albums i bought 2day

talking heads - ‘fear of music’
just finished listening to

currently listening to the track ‘awkward’ from off of ‘wolf’ by tyler, the creator

1 Like

Frank Zappa - The Crux of the Biscuit (Apostrophe reissue with outtakes, alternative takes etc)

1 Like

The new Pumpkins thread has me on a two day Corgan binge. I’ve been falling in love with this forgotten Mellon Collie outtake (not even a B-side, inexplicably).

Listened to quite a bit today! Here’s a fewwwww

Tyler, the Creator - Wolf
I listened to this while out walking in the lowering afternoon sun, which were perfect conditions for it as far as I’m concerned. It’s quite stylistically all over the place in a way that I really liked - you can see the ambition that I’ve heard further explored on Flower Boy and Igor; and I could hear how the bits that didn’t resonate so strongly fit into the flow of the album as a whole.

Boards of Canada - MHtRtC
Undisputed classic, as we all know. Every time I listen to it though I’m kind of surprised by how much I enjoy the experience of listening to it - I can describe the sound of the album, but it doesn’t really do justice to what it is and how much is encompassed over the span of the album’s runtime. And of course, the synth line at the end of ‘Happy Cycling’ is triumphant.

Oneohtrix Point Never - Returnal
Listening to this now. Fits with the kosmische mood I’ve found myself in (gave Tangerine Dream’s Phaedra a listen the other day while feeling peaky and super-tired – omg those mellotrons). Returnal’s a weird one, it’s like the final form of Rifts in a way – it takes the sonic character of those EPs and then brightens 'em and projects 'em onto a big cinema screen.

3 Likes

also listened to Harmony in Ultraviolet while playing Crash Bandicoot

1 Like

If you’ve never seen it, look up on YouTube the version of Life During Wartime from Stop Making Sense, it’s one of the best things ever.

3 Likes