I briefly convinced myself that Guinnes tastes nice

Been supping it for about a month, various forms.

In conclusion:

• Guinness on tap, no matter where you drink it, is bland and generally served too cold.

• Most stouts on tap in good pubs are far superior to Guinness.

• Guinness in tins, like all beer in tins, is tinny and barely drinkable.

• Guinness in bottles, not overly chilled, is a fucking right touch, particularly the Nigerian one you find in the World Foods section of supermarkets.

Glad we’re all agreed.

4 Likes

In Britain, yes

4 Likes

Anywhere i’ve had it in Britain and Ireland.

1 Like

Maybe you ordered the Guinness “Extra Cold” variety.

4 Likes

It’s not served that cold in Ireland. Dunno where you’ve been drinking.

2 Likes

Guinness Draught in the can with the nitro widget is a remarkable feat of technical engineering and one we should not take for granted

13 Likes

You are very wrong, but I wish you all the best in defending your indefensible opinion

Guinness FE/ Nigerian Guinness is the best tho

7 Likes

It’s no Stella Artois

2 Likes

I’m not judging you because your tastebuds don’t work, mate.

Only had it once or twice so I trust you.

It has less flavour than Stella Artois, 100%.

1 Like

Probably has less flavour than a pint of lukewarm sick, too, so that’s me convinced.

Fuck it, i’m going for a pint.

4 Likes

Since I stopped drinking regularly I’ve found that the first mouthful of Guinness is beautiful, but by the time I get 1/3rd down the pint it’s disgusting.

Have I changed, or has Guinness?

A couple of years back I had a pint of Guinness in a rural Norfolk pub and the landlord poured it from a can flat into a glass and then performed electromagic on it to produce a perfect head - like this:

Agree with these points from the OP…

• the Nigerian one you find in the World Foods section of supermarkets.
1 Like

Irks me when family members make a big deal about how they don’t drink tinned beer. Give over lads

8 Likes

I like Guinness. It’s deceptively refreshing.

2 Likes

I remember those. Guinness are very good at coming up with a gimmick to try and spark interest in what is fundamentally a heritage product.

My point by point rebuttal to the OP:

• Guinness on tap, no matter where you drink it, is bland and generally served too cold.

Guinness Extra Cold is too cold, yes. Normal draught Guinness is usually fine, though all pubs will vary with regards to cellar temperatures and so on. I disagree that Guinness is bland, I think it’s actually very distinctive, but everyone is different.

Very few pubs offer other nitro stouts, but yes, if you find one, other nitro stouts are often comparable or better than Guinness.

• Guinness in tins, like all beer in tins, is tinny and barely drinkable.

Cans are generally better than bottles for a variety of reasons. If a beer tastes “tinny” it’s a) your perception (I’d defy you to tell the difference between can / bottle beer poured into a glass) because it’s unlikely to be b) a production error from a brewery as large and automated as Guinness

• Guinness in bottles, not overly chilled, is a fucking right touch, particularly the Nigerian one you find in the World Foods section of supermarkets.

Yes, Guinness Foreign Extra is lovely, but I’d consider it a different drink to Guinness Draught

5 Likes

It shows how deep rooted these kind of consumer prejudices are, cans are better in pretty much every respect but there’s a generation of people who won’t touch them because they associate them with fizzy pop or macro lager.

2 Likes