I dont think we need photography, hear me out -

Domino effect

1 Like

I still shoot plenty of film. FYI, most 35mm film has 36 shots.

Being the camera wanker that I am, I also shoot medium format, 12 shots per roll. You make them count!

I wouldn’t not shoot digital too though.

2 Likes

Do take photos, sure. Just don’t put them on Facebook or show them to people who don’t care.

You could do a drawing instead imagine how much more she would appreciate that. Also I know what you are saying but when was the last time you looked at pictures of yourself as a baby or showed them to anyone? Would you really be that upset if they didn’t exist?

1 Like

Quite recently. Yes.

1 Like

Last night. Was looking back to see how much she’s changed in 7 weeks. Got a mixture of camera, DSLR and SLR photos. And yeah, I probably would be a bit upset if they didn’t exist. Memory goes over time, and your recollection of things of change. It’s nice to have photos.

1 Like

You don’t need to look at them every day. You look at them when notable events occur - we made a point of scanning a load of slides for my mum to print out for her birthday, and Jimbo’s almost at the age where he’ll want to look at photos of me and my other half, and I’m sure he’ll go back to them later.

And also, when you’ve got a little kid, life speeds by. You take photos - you NEED photos - because the things that they’re doing and the way they look changes so fast that if you don’t record it, it’s gone, forever, which is utterly heartbreaking.

1 Like

I used to love taking photos but a couple of years ago I gave my camera to my dad and decided to give up. This was caused by people everywhere taking photos of everything and being really annoying. Most people don’t seem to put any effort into actually taking decent photos either, or learning how their camera works, even if it is just a cameraphone. But simulateneously people seem more vain than ever, so for each picture (normally some sort of selfie), it has to be taken numerous times until they are happy how they look, often zooming right in to assess this fully. It really drains the joy out of just about anything tbh.

2 Likes

Also, so much unnecessary data storage!

Would I have to send drawings of my cock to people then?

4 Likes

Yes for a kid it is a bit different but I am saying this is so diluted by the sheer quantity of photo and video that parents have of their kids nowadays and not worth the enjoying time and a place with someone with it repeatedly being interrupted by photos. (This is a general point not aimed at you and I am sure when I have a kid I will be the worst)

That might be beneficial for you, you wouldn’t have to take photos next to toy cars or small dogs anymore

I like it at weddings where they announce during the ceremony that there is a photographer and could guests please not take photos. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief and has a nicer time. That kind of thing could be rolled out to other situations

1 Like

Agreed I do like that as well

Or, you could go down the route of having a family album and getting stuff printed, so you filter the wheat from the chaff. It’s not actually that expensive if you only post the good ones (compared with the cost of everything else you have to buy too).

Just don’t forget to take photos of your second kid as well, safety wink

Photography =/= point and click, that’s like saying playing guitar is just plucking strings in a random order and the music is a coincidence

We probably look at old photos one every 5-6 years maybe less and I enjoy the nostalgia and the old photo album with probably about 100 photos chronicling my entire childhood. Things are different now in the digital age and also think of all those glossy mags and pic of ‘perfect people’ influencing ppl ect

I went to Stonehenge for summer solstice a few years ago and was all up for some cool spiritual Druid action at sunrise amongst the stones. But at the special moment the only thing we could see in every direction were phones on selfie sticks

Great, great hair

5 Likes