I just heard the new ed sheeran song in the car and it really deserves its own thread

I remember the Irish one and nothing more, remember I actually listened to his album… twice (see my album rotation method which means I try to show no prejudice and give everything a fair chance)

Needless to say that was 2 INCREDIBLY difficult hours for me

I think it’s totally fine to show prejudice in your own tastes as long as you’re not going about lecturing fans about why something is terrible.

…wait he has a TWO HOUR album?! That seems hilarious to me somehow

oh no wait I misread you. PHEW!

Oh yeah, it’s an exercise I practice just so I can broaden my horizons so to speak. I deffo don’t lecture people about this (not anymore at least, bratty 18 - 26 year old me would’ve had a field day)

I still lecture my brother and his wife about how shitty and money grubbing Ed Sheeran is though. Feels good!

Heart are OK; those Wilson sisters could sing.

1 Like

Came up on Facebook memories last week that I met him exactly 8 years ago

Wish id bopped him on the nose

Surely he qualifies for this thread:

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/lets-defend-dis-ridiculed-bands-via-playlists

Anyone feel brave enough to have a stab?
Or shall we all continue to stick in the knife? :hocho::hocho::hocho:

Only if I can watch. :slight_smile:

I imagine I’m like a lot of other people here… I don’t mind what somebody else chooses to listen to, and they are welcome to start a “We Love Ed” thread if they wish; good luck to them. The thing is, as long as I don’t have to listen to him myself. Unfortunately that means avoiding certain radio stations, avoiding places where they are likely to tune in to those radio stations, and praying that he does not pop up on the playlist at the gym or at the supermarket.

He will be performing in March at the new Perth Stadium, which is of course an outdoor venue. That’s a worry, because I fear that I may live close enough for the sound to carry. I pray that it won’t be a hot night, so I can close the windows and listen to something else.

What a way to start building a musical legacy for Perth to be proud of.

Sic burn

Imagine if all those people went to a quite shit open mic night. Their minds would be blown.

I really feel a bit bad about being so needlessly cruel. Sorry Ed, say hi to Taylor for me

I’ve got no more against the man that I do against all CAPITALIST PIGDOGS WHO PRETEND TO BE IRISH, but I find it extremely bewildering that he’s got so big. He’s like somebody who would play world’s biggest pop star in a made-for-daytime-TV film, where the minuscule budget wouldn’t stretch very far and everybody working on the film know it’s bullshit and this guy isn’t on screen for very long so they just hire the first weird chump who walks into the audition even though he’s covered in tattoos that look like he let every kid in his nephew’s year at primary school design one for him and all his songs are knocked out in an afternoon by hired writers who just put down the most cliched shit they can think of and put it to the broad strokes of any big pop music trends that have ever existed.

Everything Has Changed is fucking mint tho.

6 Likes

why do you feel bad?

Isn’t he from a pretty well off background but also does the whole “I made it all myself it’s all about the passion if you have that you can do anything” thing? He has no edge to him at all but pretends that he does. I wouldn’t personally attack his character on a personal level or his looks or anything but musically I find him pretty reprehensible.

His music is pretty terrible but he’s obviously quite smart with regards to how today’s music business works and/or has a great manager to be as successful as he is (like releasing numerous remixes of his last song and drafting in Beyonce to make sure it was Christmas number 1, constantly featuring on other artists songs to stay relevant to mainstream radio etc) but it must be a bit rubbish how even your engagement is now spun into a promotional story (although he seems to enjoy the attention).

i find it weird how often “I DIDN’T GO TO UNIVERSITY, YOU KNOW” crops up in his lyrics.

7 Likes

That’s Aerosmith your thinking off

5 Likes

Yes, Steve Tyler and Ed Sheeran - always get those two mixed up. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am constantly flabbergasted by the appeal of this guy

Just saw this come up from his concert promoter here in Australia:

"The biggest concert tour in Australian and New Zealand concert history is finally here!

On the eve of the tour’s kick-off tomorrow night at Perth’s Optus Stadium, we’re thrilled to reveal that Ed Sheeran’s AU/NZ tour has surpassed a mammoth 1,000,000 ticket sales!

This achievement sees Ed well and truly breaking Dire Straits’ record for the most tickets sold (950,000 tickets) on one tour of Australia and New Zealand, a record no other artist has broken in the 32 years since the band’s 1986 tour.

In addition to cracking one million ticket sales, Ed’s seven city, eighteen show stadium tour has also broken the following records:

:trophy: Highest ticket sales for a single concert tour in Australia

:trophy: Highest ticket sales for a single concert tour in New Zealand

:trophy: Biggest stadium tour of Australia and New Zealand

:trophy: Venue record for most number of shows on one tour
Optus Stadium (Perth), Etihad Stadium (Melbourne), Suncorp Stadium(Brisbane), Forsyth Barr Stadium (Dunedin)

:trophy: Venue record for highest cumulative attendance on one tour
— Optus Stadium, ANZ Stadium (Sydney), Etihad Stadium, Mt Smart Stadium (Auckland), Suncorp Stadium, Forsyth Barr Stadium
— Notably, Dunedin cumulative ticket sales are close to equal of the city’s population!

:trophy: Venue record for highest attendance for a single show
— Optus Stadium, Suncorp Stadium, Mt Smart Stadium, Forsyth Barr Stadium"

Admit it, your people SUCK! :smiley:

Also that’s kind of incredible that the last act to do this was Dire Straits. Maybe says a lot more about how many huge acts can’t be fucked to do a proper Australian Tour, though.