I want to get into Van Morrison

please direct me to any particular albums you think i should listen to (not Astral Weeks or Moondance or best ofs).
Or is there a period where he did a lot of stuff worth listening to.

Never got into him - and refuse to judge him by “Brown Eyed Girl”.
As he is revered by many, i thought i better see what the fuss is about.

I don’t know much beyond Them and his early solo stuff but I love this “interview”.

1 Like

Astral Weeks, Moondance and a best of are pretty much the only ones I’d recommend. As above, Them are a good listen too.

1 Like

Would also highly recommend Saint Dominic’s Preview. Flipping love that album, ‘Jackie Wilson Said’ and ‘Listen To The Lion’ are great tunes.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Actual brilliance.

Moondance is one of my favourite records, and moondance is the weakest track on it

Tupelo honey is good. All his songs basically all sound the same though.

That album he did just to get out of his contract is pretty funny. Just repeats nonsense phrases over some random strumming

I really love this record but always afraid to say so in case it’s just cheesy bollocks.

1 Like

it’s a fucking grat record, especially great whe your someplace warm and enjoying a cold beer

1 Like

and it stooooooned me to my souuul

1 Like

amen brother

1 Like

I can’t claim any deep level of knowledge, but ‘Into The Music’ is probably my favourite of his after ‘Astral Weeks’. It’s a bit MOR at times but there are plenty of good tunes. Also, I remember really liking ‘You Win Again’ (with Linda Gail Lewis) but I don’t own it and I haven’t heard it for years (not on Spotify either). It’s just cover versions, but they’re both on great form throughout, obviously having fun and that comes across.

Astral weeks - veedon fleece is a fantastic run of albums. I would also recommend the live album from this era and the expanded edition they released

1 Like

Veedon Fleece is absolutely brilliant, 2nd only to Astral Weeks for me. I’m surprised it doesn’t get more acclaim to be honest.
No Guru No Method No Teacher from the 80’s is excellent too. In The Garden from that record is simply stunning.
I’ve always had a soft spot for St Dominic’s Preview as well.
The live album, It’s Too Late To Stop Now is worth checking out too,

3 Likes

yeah - I’m as mentioned above

St Dominc’s Preview
Veedon Fleece
Moondance
Too Late to Stop Now (the live one) are all great

I also love His Band and the Street Choir

I’ve been enjoying the new track today.