Icebreakers

Tell my colleagues on this training course i said… hello

Don’t mind the ones that aren’t super cringey. But I’ve got traumatic memories of standing around in a circle and having to clap, and then someone doing a dance move and everyone else having to copy it.

I think this was shortly before we watched an animated version of Who Moved My Cheese?

It was a team building day, warny, we were building a team!

What is this, please?

Change management through the medium of mice.

This mainly:

9 Likes

a motivational business fable?

JFC

1 Like

The best icebreaker is when you get everyone to stand up in turn and say what they hate most about team building events.

1 Like

Oh this would be great!

“sadpunk, you’ve been going for 20 minutes, it’s time for other people to have a go!”

1 Like

On the first day of my journalism course we were split into groups, given a list of people with different characteristics (age, health, jobs, family etc) then told they were all on a sinking ship and had to decide who got on the lifeboats. My team decided that we should give all children a free pass then run a random ballot for the rest, as being the fairest way to choose.

When we explained this afterwards, the tutors looked at us like we were mad, apparently we were meant to choose based on what would have been most newsworthy or something.

I was not a very good journalist.

3 Likes

In all seriousness:

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to how to build a decent team without it (a) being cringe or (b) revolving around alcohol? Over the next couple of months I’ve got five new starters in what will be a team of nine.

3 Likes

Would be loads more fun!

1 Like

I’ve also seen that film, and got given the book by work whilst facing possible redundancy surprisingly

The worse one I have ever undertaken was, and I shit you not, a hat with bits of paper in them, and you picked them out. On the paper was Disney animated movies, and you had to sing or mime one of the songs from the movie so that other people can guess.

Fucking Texas, man.

4 Likes

Big fan of this one right now

+4 strength?

Nice.

I think

1 Like

have never had to do one

Had an awful one once where you had to go around the room introducing yourself to people and saying what your job was without using your job title, so e.g. instead of saying “Hi, I’m Dr Epimer, and I’m a patent twat” you had to spout some bollocks like "I help people convert innovation into a commercial advantage.

The worst thing about it was that everyone in the room was a patent twat, because it was a corporate away day at a whole firm of patent twats.

6 Likes

That would be great! Just hammering a block of ice to feel better about being on a team day.

1 Like