Idles - Joy as an Act of Resistance (New Album)

I do think it’s amazing how I’m the space of a few songs I feel quite uplifted and optimistic with Danny Nedelko and then hit rock bottom with June. An album of extremes right there

1 Like

Cool, I’m on the fence with the lyrics but the fact they’re addressing some very important issues in a matter of fact way is comendable (for me anyway). Yada yada yada hey hey hey hey

1 Like

Can someone explain what a bag of Michael Keaton is? I’m assuming it’s a drug ref?

Coke innit?

Not heard it before but You can call it whatever you want I reckon.

If someone asked me if I wanted some Jack Nicholson I’d assume it was coke too.

1 Like

Can someone tell me where Mary Berry was awarded her degree?

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if it was actually referring to a bag of chopped up Michael Keaton. “I’m Bagman”

I really tried with this record, but the lyrics are such a stumbling block for me. I wanted to love it.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Well done.

10 Likes

Ahhh this has clicked and I am addicted. Best thing when that happens.

Bearing in mind the lyrical and interview mentions of jungle, and also the Pavement and Dylan references am I hearing a homage to this in Danny Nedelko?

1 Like

193 (4) posts…is this album really worth that.

It sounds no different to any other album from 2008?

:fire:

6 Likes

I’m having this experience. Reviews and recommendations suggest I should love this record, but it hasn’t been really blowing me away. I’d almost like it to.

Idles…are just a band

2 Likes

It’s good but I think I still prefer the previous album. The lyrics on some of the tracks are really grating and remind me a bit of Nathan Barley’s ‘edgy’ rapping. It’s a real shame because tracks such as Colossus demonstrate that they really can write excellent lyrics.

1 Like

Listening to it now and I like some of the guitar work but a lot of the vocals give me that sense of irritation I get when I’m on public transport after there’s been a footy match in town and all the people pouring out of the stadium won’t stop cheering and I just want to get home and have a cup of tea.

9 Likes

listening to it now, the lyrics keep slipping between endearing and genuinely terrible. musically sometimes good, sometimes annoying.

5 or 6/10 seems more than generous

his pop culture references are also extremely weak, it’s kinda painful

did he just mention tom hiddlestone and harry potter in the same song?

sweet jesus

I am new to this band and have just started listening to JAAAOR (as no-one is calling it) and I would like to add my voice to those saying that this is absolutely and utterly fab.

Yes, I can understand that the vocals/lyrics aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but this record (with some moments being obvious exceptions) makes me feel alive. Love it.

2 Likes