Idles - Joy as an Act of Resistance (New Album)

Enjoying the idea that Atd-I are the only punk band allowed on jools

I remember William Reid punching the camera on Jools about 20 years ago.

1 Like

This is quite a funny jools Holland performance

Was a bit like when the sugary drinks has taken over a childrens party.

1 Like

I enjoyed it though

It felt a bit ~zany for the sake of it by the end but I’m sure they’ll get a few new fans out of it.

4 Likes

King Princess was great as well

FAO of @andyvine

1 Like

Is this directed at Idles? They’re literally the middle of a US tour with a support that isn’t a white male (though all male) band. Their U.K. tour has one support throughout.

Didn’t know bands got to choose who they toured with anyway.

1 Like

Incredibly cowardly doing this kind of thing anyway innit. Call out a band by name if you’re calling them out.

14 Likes

Gbols

Dunno I’m kinda with @jordan_229 on this one

1 Like

Usually find myself agreeing with (presumably) Gareth on a lot of issues but this is quite petty

2 Likes

Maybe we should just forget about it all and enjoy a nice, cold, refreshing, socially conscious bottle of Budweiser.

10 Likes

How much of Idles recent success is down to their preaching of inclusivity and equality, is that what makes them stand out at the moment or is it purely the songs, the music. If the words weren’t as strong as they are would they be where they are now?*

• I don’t know is my answer

If it’s the former and then I guess LC have a valid point in what they are saying.

It’s both but more about the songs themselves.

It’s obv Idles by the reference to “unity”. Such a dumb argument - if they hadn’t spoken up for these things then they’d be “allowed” to tour with all white males? That would be better, right?

Feels like there’s a fair amount of jealousy around Idles at the mo

7 Likes

If Idles don’t make visible effort to play gigs with more diverse bands, or (more generally speaking) create opportunites for diversity, does that devalue the meaning behind Idles’ messages?

I’m not sure where I stand on that. Especially as without knowing how things are handled behind-the-scenes, it’s all guesswork. Although it seems now like Idles are quite big and able to have a degree of influence, that’s a very recent (i.e past few months) sort of thing so it’s unrealistic to expect there would be immediate results off the back of that.

Will be interesting to see whether they try and exert that influence for diversity in the future… but is exerting influence eone of their responsibilities now? Considering they’ve politicised themselves, you could argue it is.

I’m a fan of LC and I get where Gareth is coming from (not that I necessarily agree) but yeah, this discussion doesn’t lend itself well to twitter.

That and Idles (much like LC) are earnest to the extent that it puts off a lot of listeners. Very genuine people in both bands, from my experiences with them!

1 Like

What makes people think that tweet was a dig at Idles? Diversity in the music scene is something loads of bands are talking about.

1 Like

As @clang said the ‘unity’ bit seems targeted re: the lyrics to Danny Nedelko

1 Like