Idles

Possibly not, but I think that’s in no small part down to there being a very thin line between doing what they do well and completely laughable bollocks, more so than most bands’ sound anyway.

There’s definitely something in that. I was always really put off by their whole schtick for ages, but despite not really wanting to like them that much I came round to them because you couldn’t really deny the quality of Joy… It does mean that it’s very easy to just go off them again incredibly quickly when they release something as bad as Ultra Mono though.

Releasing it last year probably didn’t help. The album still would have been shite, but it it had come out alongside some fun gigs/festival appearances they’d probably still retain a bit more goodwill.

2 Likes

I’ve got tickets to see them at the Eden project this year. Never seen them before. Reckon I’ll still have a good time. Not gonna let some naff t shirts upset me

2 Likes

the first album was also bad sorry

4 Likes

Yeah this - I bet they and a handful of other artists are kicking themselves for rushing the writing and recording of albums that they then couldn’t tour. They could have had all last year to write it…

1 Like

This x1,000,000

2 ok comedy novelty songs amid a sea of shite. The absolute nadir of that album was the song where the chorus is him shouting ‘mavva fahkaaar’

1 Like

This was highlighted briefly in the DiS albums of the year results…

1 Like

Nice to have my gut feeling confirmed by RAW HARD STATS! Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This was posted in the new releases yesterday and I’ve had it on repeat a lot since then. Hope this moody tone is the way they are going or at least mixing the album up with more songs like this, really good song.

1 Like

Yes reminds me of “a Hymn” which was my favourite song from the last album. Curious to see if they go down this road further.

Word on the street is the new album is much more like this. Darker. ‘Way more reduced and stripped back’

Cant be any worse than the last one anyway

They’ll be lucky if they get a new album out before touring restarts and it’s a good un. Everyone can forget about ultra mono.

1 Like

My source has told me its done and will be out this year

I cant say anymore in case he gets told off

The last one was okay, not great by stretch but not as bad as people said it was. In one way the pandemic may have worked out for them in the sense that they didnt have to tour a poorly received (critic-wise) new album.

On the other hand they were arguably Britains biggest rock band and were about to crack the States ( the album made the Billboard Top 50) so maybe they lost out. Still all to play for, for them.

1 Like

I just can’t listen to it. I find it so awful. Its almost put me off them completely, and i was a big fan until that point (since long before the debut came out). It’s just so… Shit

Hopeful that they have one more good one in them

5 Likes

Time will tell, I think it could go either way. They may be exactly what people want after the pandemic or exactly what people do NOT want after the pandemic.

Not as badly received as some posters on here think. Baring a a hatchet job by the Quietus it was pretty much an 8/10 album critics wise. The DIS forums, well that’s another story. Me personally I liked the music more than Joy but found the lyrics to be pretty jarring, couldn’t see myself wanting to sing along the way I did with Joy.

1 Like

Pitchfork had a bit of a go

The review from Pitchfork was less significant than the fact that it was placed top of the list for that day. It was grudging acknowledgment they were breaking into a bigger league.

Amazon was trying to shift vinyl copies of ultra mono last week for £7. So I’m guessing it didn’t shift the numbers they were expecting.