If a plane tried to take off on a runway, which was also a treadmill running in the opposite direction to the plane’s travel, would the plane be able to take off?” (the answer is yes BTW)

I have just stumbled upon this and i want to discuss it but it was posted ages ago in a different thread

I think the answer is yes.

no. no it isn’t

Cricket!

Yes

That’s what I said as well.

yeah. the plane doesn’t turn its wheels to take off does it? it uses the engines

i assume you are all joking?

grrr you all

Great minds think alike

so you think it would fire those big engines up

stay still on a treadmill and just go up into the air??

I think you’d struggle to find a treadmill on the market which would do much upwards of 20mph, so the plane would easily outrun it. Also, they tend to be quite small for fitting in gyms, garages, etc, so doubt you’d get one big enough for a plane.

maybe see if BoB will crowd fund a giant treadmill and we can find out

if it just used the engine it wouldn’t need the treadmill

it could just fire the engines up and take off (using your theory)

planes don’t need treadmills mate

correct

they need airflow - and lots of it

it was me that posted that

if the treadmill is going at say 20mph the wheels would just turn 20 MPH faster - and the plane would move forward at the same speed it always does. The forward motion comes from the jets, not the wheels

Rolling Road instead, innit.

What if the treadmill was running the same way as the plane. Could it take off twice as fast? That might ease some airport congestion.

to fly not to move

but it would stay on the spot

the engines create thrust

the airflow over the wing creates lift

the engine propels the plane at speed into the airflow… due to the shape of the wing it passes over the top of the wing faster than the bottom and creates lift

none of this would be possible on a treadmill.