If you discovered a new planet, what would you call it?

So here’s the situation.

You win this telescope as second prize in a beauty contest.

You point it at a random bit of sky, and notice this planet and say “Hey, what’s that one called, braniac?” to a passing scientist.

“Do you know… By jove, I think it’s a new one!”

The scientist confirms it with the other boffins and the next thing you know. It’s confirmed.

You’ve discovered a new planet.

Firstly, @anon50098204 updates the noticer thread with your planet noticing, but then at the press conference they ask you

“What are you going to name it?”.

Well?

1 Like

Earth 2

7 Likes

Bumland.

1 Like

Bumland. You’re naming the planet Bumland?

Drspaceland

the office stanley GIF

4 Likes

Mianus

8 Likes

Myanus

6 Likes

Maianus

Ffs

Haaa yesss

6 Likes

been reading a bit about exploration and stuff recently and all these fucking simps that name newly discovered islands or whatever after the queen or the guy who funded the mission. fuck that, name it after yourself. so yeah, planet jamos, cheers

6 Likes

Jeff

One of my kids is bang into space atm. Appaz there’s a scientific consensus (for some reason) that there is a 9th planet in our solar system that hasn’t been actually observed. This book was saying if you can find it maybe you can name it. Fuck that, I told him, let’s just name it anyway.

2 Likes

‘Elba’ after Idris Elba.

1 Like

Nyx is the correct answer.

Some stupid moon has a version of it though now I see. " On June 21, 2006, the International Astronomical Union renamed one of Pluto’s recently discovered moons (S/2005 P 2) Nix, in honor of Nyx. The name was spelled with an “i” instead of a “y”, to avoid conflict with the asteroid 3908 Nyx."

3 Likes

Planet Dick

Gary

1 Like

Uranus II

Denovali

1 Like