If you say spicy, mean it

I had this happen once

My fave takeway curry was a “chicken chili balti” - it had whole small green chills in it. It was hot but not unreasonably and I would usually eat at least some of the whole chills

One time i noticed that the green chili I was about to eat was sort of half orange. I ate it. That was a terrible, terrible, terrible mistake

2 Likes

I don’t know what this means.

It’s not your mind playing tricks on you, or a case of myth becoming accepted fact: he really does drop nukes more than other civs. Like any other leader in the series, Gandhi has pre-determined statistics that govern his behaviour, making him more likely to do certain things and behave in certain ways.

His preference for nukes doesn’t just make the latter portions of a game messy, though, it’s a behaviour that stands in such stark contrast with his pacifist approach in the real world that it’s become Civilization’s defining joke.

…In the original Civilization , it was because of a bug. Each leader in the game had an “aggression” rating, and Gandhi - to best reflect his real-world persona - was given the lowest score possible, a 1, so low that he’d rarely if ever go out of his way to declare war on someone.

Only, there was a problem. When a player adopted democracy in Civilization , their aggression would be automatically reduced by 2. Code being code, if Gandhi went democratic his aggression wouldn’t go to -1, it looped back around to the ludicrously high figure of 255, making him as aggressive as a civilization could possibly be.

13 Likes

Hot is also a temperature and how I look so sometimes words have more than one meaning.

Please tune in same time tomorrow for Balonz’s lesson of the day.

Here’s a spice anecdote:

Always been a medium orderer as top levels of spice tolerance in the UK, then moved to Australia. Did that the first couple of times, and could taste nothing, so with a little bit of fear, became the guy who orders food hot. Turns out Australian hot = British medium, though I’d be embarrassed ordering hot each time because I worried people would think I was a loser spice warrior who defined myself by my lack of tastebuds.

Got over it over time though as I wasn’t the type to reply “HOT!” to the question then pull my Spice Warrior t-shirt off and jiggle my decomposing belly in front of everyone each time (i.e. @anon29812515).

Then I moved to The Netherlands and first time I ordered food here and was asked how hot I’d like it, I responded hot without thinking. Tucked in at usual speed (very fast) and quickly developed hiccups and pain on a severe scale and felt like I was going to die. Embarrassingly so. Still finished the food as I’m not one to waste, but it took forever with tiny bites each time and I didn’t enjoy it one bit.

2 Likes

I like vanilla

1 Like

It was bad. Didn’t even do the old faux ‘scan around the pub pretending to look for mates’ routine. Straight to the loo.

3 Likes

Lovely mention of Netherlands and Aus there. Could have done with a bit of Welsh heritage but can’t complain!

4 Likes

I witnessed a chili eating contest a couple of weekend ago

By the end it was just 2 guys looking incredibly red faced and uncomfortable eating what the host claimed were the hottest chills in the world - everyone got bored and the compare just called it a draw

such a weird thing to be into - both guys had done these contests before, but nothing about it seemed enjoyable in any possible way

2 Likes

At that point you’ve got to think, well, what are they going to do, throw you out? No problem, I’ll be out in… call it ten minutes.

1 Like

Yeah. Told this before, but we had an Australian post-doc come over and we took him out for a curry after his first day. He reckoned he liked his food spicy, and ordered the phall. The waiter scoffed at him, but he refused to be dissuaded.

He didn’t even make it into the lab the next day, and got shit about it for years.

3 Likes

You can always add spice but you can’t take it away.

I much prefer to get the non spicy version of something and make it spicy myself.

1 Like

For some reason it’s always more enjoyable to eat the mad spicy shit if you do it with somebody else who also likes it. My old flatmate used to love spicy stuff, so when I cooked for us both I’d go even more over the top each time, always a good time. My partner does not enjoy spicy food, so I always have to cook mild and then whack a load of sauce on afterwards to make it spicy, and then I eat it with a low-level resentment that she’s not also partaking.

1 Like

Y’see I don’t know.

I can take on a jalf. Can handle scotch bonnets but not to excess.

What’s that about a 7?

1 Like

Better to cook something with a load of chillis in it than add sauce later though, there’s a huge difference.

1 Like

Might make a vindaloo this weekend.

It will be about a 3 out of 10 on the spice rankings.

Asked for extra chilli in my Malaysian corn chowder today …

Tien Fu at Shepherds Bush uses the 1-3 pepper system on their menu. I’ve had a 3 pepper dishes that only deserved one and at least one 2 pepper dish that deserved about a dozen of them. At least rate them in the right order FFS.

1 Like

Who among us regularly makes food with fresh chillis and will inevitably end up touching their eyes before washing their hands?

• Every. Fucking. Time.
  • Do I look like an idiot to you?

0 voters

Same question but touches themselves somewhere much worse?

• I should really invest in a pair of pants that can hold milk in them while I wear them
  • Seriously, who would be that stupid?

0 voters