if you subtract the [embarrassing] from Tool and multiply what's left by Steve Albini, you get Craw

I posted such a thought in the Tool HGATR, but it needs its own thread

Craw are mint and nobody’s ever mentioned them on here

and… it’s like, they scratch the itch that Tool should scratch, but don’t

as the title suggests, their sound is pretty much like Shellac but proggy, and with production that’s every bit as muscular as Tool, but less sterile

the rhythm section is the main point of similarity. math metal, but much more lithe and slithery like ^^^

also their singer was like David Yow, but less sweaty perhaps?

just listen to Craw, okay? and if you already have, please agree with me out loud.

Kind of intrigued by how you’re figuring that Shellac aren’t ‘proggy’? :smiley:

(I have put on Bodies for Stronium [sic.] 90 and the opening 90 seconds has been good.)

Okay seems like there’s an actual typo in Spotify

as it’s spelt ‘strontium’ on their website.

1 Like

Craw are great and you’ve just reminded me of a whole load of early Hydra Head bands that I’ve not listened to in an age. Today I’m going to be mostly listening to Craw, Keelhaul and Knut

5 Likes

Never heard of them but will check them out.

2 Likes

Keelhaul!!

5 Likes

I think I have Keelhaul’s Triumphant Return To Obscurity on CD somewhere. Haven’t thought about them in years!

2 Likes

Hydra Head was a great label

4 Likes

That Keelhaul and Knut show in london in whatever year was next level. such a good night.

bloody love knut. riffs which make you twitch a bit

Craw though. Swoooooon.

Bodies from Strontium 90 is such an overlooked album. They should have been as big as any of the main noise rock bands from back then but never really broke through. such a shame.

1 Like

Such a great album. I love II by them also - worth a listen if you haven’t heard it before

1 Like

I must’ve missed that but I did see Keelhaul and Envy at The Underworld around 2003/04… that was an exceptional gig though the turnout was disappointing. Can’t find any trace of the gig happening apart from an Earthtone9 Facebook post saying how good it was.

2 Likes

Keelhaul are amazing. Drummer was in Craw too.

Craw are great but don’t really see the ‘like Tool but less embarrassing’ comparison tbh. Hardly any metal in Craw at all

2 Likes

Just checked out their Bandcamp off the back of this and there’s loads of live shows, demos, a 7" and a rarities disc, all PWYL. Cheers @Acorn!

2 Likes

yeah, didn’t hydra head put out a box set or something? Seem to remember wanting to fork out loads of money for something.

will check out the bandcamp for sure cheers

1 Like

Yeah - the boxset is on there too (and their last album). It’s cheaper now (but postage to the UK is horrendous as usual)

2 Likes

This is also great from Hydra Head

4 Likes

damn, I would have loved these guys when I was really into this kind of thing (I mean I still am, but this would have really hit the spot then). on hydrahead too and I don’t even remember having heard of them. What a failure of diligence!

1 Like

feel like that’s the great lost hydra head record or something. They never seemed to get props critically or turn up in lists or whatever, but someone always, rightly, pops up when HH records are being discussed and mentions this. absolute banger

4 Likes

Agree. Incredible EP. Spent ages trying to track down a copy in record stores in Boston one summer. Was very pleased when I finally got it.

They reunited for some live dates a few years back, but never released any more material I don’t think. Am gutted I didn’t know they’d reunited at the time, and missed the opportunity to see them live.

Was just looking up a bit about them and see that the EP was remastered by James Plotkin onto 45 rpm vinyl a few years back. Think I may have to avail myself of one of those!

1 Like

:smiley: happy I made this thread

How have I not heard these before??

How weren’t they on Amrep?? Getting massive Hammerhead vibes with a bit of Tar thrown in. But still very much doing their own thing.

Thanks acorn. x

1 Like