If you were going on a long train journey what would you take on the train?

Beer
Ipad / tablet loaded with telly / film to watch
Book
Snacks

1 Like

YAAAAAAAS

totally knew that post was just a ā€œiā€™m taking a longer train journey than youā€ post in waiting

3 Likes

snacks
headphones
phone charger
music / podcasts
a book

1 Like

At least one pair of shoes I think. Probably only one pair. On my feet. Also probably a train ticket.

Switch
Book
Portable charger
Train beers
Sandwich
Snacks
Water
HEADPHONES

Really quite like a good train journey.

If itā€™s not too busy, thereā€™s no football or hen crowds and I donā€™t have to change trains - itā€™s lovely. Even better if Iā€™m going somewhere exciting.

7 Likes

Probably at least one train poo, too.

1 Like

If I really wanted to do that, Iā€™d have pointed out how I was offered a ticket to a conference in Plymouth, but that itā€™s seven hours from here and I cba.

Oops

My yardstick to this is obviously London to Edinburgh, which Iā€™ve done now about 37853743 times.

1 Like

I used to, but I honestly havenā€™t had a pleasant train journey like that for years. Always too busy. Always terrible facilities. Usually stags / hens or football fans going to away games. Iā€™m going to do Paddington - Cardiff by myself in a few weeks and that used to be great, two and a half hours to have a few beers and chill, but now I know Iā€™ll be fighting for my (pre-booked!) seat and surrounded by twats.

1 Like

In addition to this - if Iā€™m taking the Friday evening Dublin <> Belfast train, I am taking an upgrade to first class as I am far too much of a grump to stand for 2 hours in an aisle, surrounded by stag and hen parties.

1 Like

I tend to make sure I have a book, charger, headphones, some music downloaded onto my phone (ambient stuff for if Iā€™m reading and some more involved stuff for if Iā€™m faffing about on DiS or staring out of the window feeling all my super deep feelings) and some podcasts. Never sure what mood Iā€™ll be in. Also some snacks and beers.

Love a good train journey I do.

2 Likes

Probably the biggest impediment to tackling climate change is how fucking rubbish public transport is, isnā€™t it.

(Yes)

mutes thread

1 Like

God I did this journey last year to my cousinā€™s wedding. It was horrendous, plus on the way back they unilaterally cancelled all the direct trains for the whole day.

Headphones
Podcasts on my phone
Newspaper for the crosswords
Book maybe
Beers
Full picnic

Thought there werenā€™t any trains in Ireland

1 Like

I think possibly the interconnectedness of the global power networks and the global political power networks, and the innate resistance of human beings to moderate their own pleasure are probably slightly bigger impediments.

Nah

1 Like

^ 4 minute train journey

A good point well made. Fucking trains.

3 Likes

Itā€™s grim! Iā€™ll get to Paddington, get some supplies from M&S, then join the horde waiting by the boards trying to find out which platform the train is on. The platform will be announced about two minutes before departure, so a thousand people, most of whom have suitcases, or small children, or both, will stampede to the train and fight to get on. If I make it to my seat, and donā€™t have to fight with someone to get out of it, Iā€™ll be sat there with people stood in the aisle right over me, while the whole carriage reverberates with drunken singing. Someone will throw up in the vestibule before Swindon.

1 Like