If you were going on a long train journey what would you take on the train?

Not allowed

Been on a sleeper train?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

With family: kids, snacks, toys, bags, pram

Without (cwbaft): 3DS, charger, headphones, Peopleā€™s Mojito, sandwich

On British trains, nope.

On ones actually built for long journeys, with viewing cars and dining cars and reclining seats and plenty of legroom, lovely stuff, sign me up.

(Did Edinburgh to Thurso, which is eight hours across two services. On the way up we had a two hour break in Inverness, on the way backā€¦ a ten minute break. Would not do that again.)

Rome - Barca

I was meant to travel from Gottingen, Germany to Avignon, France on a trip that only had a ten min gap between the trains. Contrary to stereotypes, the German train was 1.5 hours late so totally missed the connection, and had to stay overnight in Strasbourg until the next morningā€™s train.

Somewhat spoiled that potentially lovely journey, though canā€™t complain about getting to wander around outside the cathedral - itā€™s a real beaut.

There are no trains in Ireland. harruā€™s mind has clearly degraded in his time here.

In answer to the OP, it depends whether Iā€™m travelling alone, whether Iā€™m travelling with someone else, and whether Iā€™ve got a table or an airline seat.

With someone else:

A pair of nerf guns

On my own:

Mr Pop

A slow cooker
all the ingredients to make a slow cooked chilli
#somebeers
headphones
charger
water
coffee
dust buster
sunglasses
a change of underwear
contraceptives
portable dab radio
fruit
nuts
crisps
a croissant
in excess of two forms of payment
my keys, inc a bottle opener
a picture of my cat

5 Likes

4 hrs is not a long train journey

please vote accordingly

It would be about 3-400 miles, thatā€™s quite far

Two books (pref one novel and one collection of short stories)
A scarf to lay out on the seat so it doesnā€™t make my legs itchy
Headphones
Phone
Phone charger
Train boozes
Snacks

What if the train journey is interrupted due to a derailment?

what about it

28 hours Seattle to San Jose, get away with your ā€˜4 hours is a long journeyā€™ nonsense. I do that for breakfast.

Food, drink, battery pack. And one of these, theyā€™re absolutely essential if you want to sleep.

2 Likes

Have you ever found yourself embroiled in a murder mystery while on a long train journey?

• I have not
  • I have

0 voters

Must be a Pret or something thatā€™s closer than that.

2 Likes

at least you know the way

4 Likes

Hang on, are you saying you regularly get on trains while dressed as Keith Lemon?