If you were hosting a dinner party, what would you cook?

I have some friends coming round for dinner tomorrow (we’re all vaccinated) and need inspiration.

So DiS, what would you cook? Any favourites?

Appetizer: Scallops wrapped in bacon
Main: Teriyaki beef tips, wild rice with mushrooms, honey roasted carrots, side salad

1 Like

A whole bunch of yummy stuff from Persiana

1 Like

Starter: Summer rolls

Mains: Mango Curry with dal makhani.

Dessert: Crunchy cheesecake

2 Likes

Bbq

3 Likes

Stick with something simple that you know you can do well.

4 Likes

Some sort of picky bits (olives, dips ect)
Either a couple of curries (paneer masala and saag aloo) or this

Eton mess

4 Likes

Yotters otters spread
Ketamine

5 Likes

I would do raclette but I have a raclette machine

If you are in france do the supermarkets or cheese shops in your area loan out raclette machines?

2 Likes

Chicken Biriyani for main. It’s pretty easy, minimal dishes and you can prep in advance and keep on low heat for ease when hosting.

2 Likes

Good shout this

2 Likes

ooh I actually have one of these still brand-new in its box in the cupboard!

It’s this:

Could be fun!

Edit: so not one of those big grilly-type raclette things.

2 Likes

Perfect!

Get a load of raclette cheese (ask in the shop how much per person, I never know)

New or salad potatoes, anything that boils well

Pre-packed Charcuterie, or get some sliced by the butcher if you’re feeling posh

Cornichons, (pickled onions if you want to brexit it up)

Loads of Pinot noir or gamay,

If there’s any dairy frees or vegans it might be tricky, but great for veggies and carnies, and really easy

1 Like

Dessert could be something like a rhubarb fool, but with some crushed meringue too, so a bit Eton mess like. Not to heavy and again easy to prep ahead of time :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Literally sold in the supermarché as ‘fromage a raclette’ :laughing:

This could be a really good idea actually. I completely forgot I had the raclette thingy!

2 Likes

Ooh yea that sounds nice and @rich-t mentioned Eton mess too. I was thinking a lemon posset or chocolate mousse but rhubarb is delish!

1 Like

The weather forecast says thunderstorms tomorrow otherwise I would’ve got the Ooni out and had a pizza party!

@NeilYoung scallops wrapped in bacon could be a good shout for the starter. The French love scallops so they’re always fresh in the supermarket.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Feel free to keep suggesting as I’m always on the look out for new yummy things to cook. @Iceblink and @rich-t those dishes you linked both sound so good.

3 Likes

Starter - Dal Tadka with a thinner, soup like consistency. Topped with an onion bhaji.

Home made poppadoms and chutneys, etc. (Yes, between starter and main, gtf)

Main - Trio of Keralan fish curry, Saag Paneer and Ulli Theeyal (shallot curry). Fresh rotis and Jeera rice.

Dessert - A Twister

7 Likes

This would be all amazing but France is rubbish at selling nice spices