Important question about journalism

OK so my question to people who know about these things is this: Do Getty Images own the rights to the picture of Swift, or the picture of Windermere, or have they mocked up a picture of a spectral Taylor Swift haunting Lake Windermere, just in case it might come in handy one day?

I need to know.

Also Windermere isn’t a lake. It’s a mere. Which is the same thing as a lake.

7 Likes

Welcome to the Mere District.

1 Like

It’s merely a lake.

8 Likes

I would guess both the stock images of Windemere and Swift are owned by Getty and the news organisation has combined them, which is allowable under their license.

good question. i think they prob own all three images, the background one of winderlake, the one of t-swizz, and the weird giant floating taylor swift looming over the lake of winder

My mind is set at rest! Thank you both so much for your consideration.

Are the original picture and the one with the added ethereal glow around her considered different pictures?

Is it not just a single photograph, taken from the basket of a hot air balloon?

2 Likes

And Taylor has prudently had some Ready Brek to keep her going for her balloon flight.

3 Likes

It can be quite chilly up there, hence the jacket.

The image of Taylor Swift was taken at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival - “Miss Americana” Premiere at Eccles Center Theatre on January 23, 2020 in Park City, Utah by Neilson Barnard.

The image of an aerial view of the southern side of Lake Windermere, Belle Island, Ferry Green and the village of Storrs was taken on July 12, 2017 in Bowness-on-Windermere, in Cumbria, England by David Goddard.

Getty Images owns the rights on both.

1 Like

Magnificent.

Looks more like a river. Fake fucking river lake. What an absolute shite bit of nature. Drain that fucker.

Definitely looks like a photoshop

Lakes are just puddles really though aren’t they. Just puddles with ego.

yeah if you zoom out you can see it

12 Likes

Whichever way you slice it, Windermere is England’s biggest lake. So when the caption says it’s “one of England’s biggest lakes” it’s not technically wrong, but it is weirdly misleading.

I was wondering when someone would spot that. Winderlake is indeed England’s biggest lake.

As a journalist, I was determined to score some journalism points in the important question about journalism thread, so thank you for giving me the space to do that (thinly veiled I’m a journalist post)

1 Like