"in my head....."

No boxes at all? What were things being kept in? Jars?

You know when someone says they’re pulling your leg
They never actually do, do they

1 Like

Nooooo
She liked him
she was like on paper, he’s my type 100000 times.
BUT HE WAS THERE. THERE WAS NO NEED FOR A THEORETICAL LIKE OF HIM. YOU LIKED HIM. THAT WAS IT.

omg you’re all very much missing the point here

the boxes were drawn on the paper they didn’t have

Oh I see

Seriously?

When you say you like something on paper, it’s a theory
it’s like saying on paper I would LOVE that chocolate brownie because i love chocolate brownies
but you dont/haven’t had that chocolate brownie

It’s like eating a chocolate brownie then going on for a few hours about how on paper you like that chocolate brownie
cause you had it
you don’t need to have something speculated “on paper” in the sense of the phrase

Yeah it’s is a bit weird to say on paper he’s my type and he’s my type irl too, unless she was saying he appears to be my type but I’m not sure yet

1 Like

yeah she was like on paper he’s my type
after shes met him and chatted to him and snogged him
but on paper, he’s her type

fair enough if on paper he was her type but she didn’t like it
but makes no sense if on paper hes her type and he IS her type, not on paper, and she likes him romantically, on paper and off paper

Nobody would say that about a chocolate brownie.

but “on paper” doesn’t mean hypothetically

yes it does

If something looks/sounds good in theory but may not be good in reality, you’d say this looks good on paper because usually it doesn’t work/isn’t good. Thats the whole point of the phrase.

can’t believe you guys have got meowington’d again so easily

7 Likes

no, it means technically

On paper, diego costa’s a good footballer
On paper.

Both of the examples here (“in my head” and “on paper”) are just cliches used to emphasise a point. They both work in the contexts used; actual etymological inconsistencies notwithstanding.

Or in short - all of you know what these people mean; leave them alone.

1 Like

No it doesn’t.
It can be technically or theoretically or physically or anything. It just means it sounds like it would work, but it doesn’t and that could apply to anything.

What do you wipe your bum on?
On paper of course.
Errrrrr Theo only hypothetically wipes his bum !!

Oh righto, well far be it from me to say that idioms are capable of fluid meanings :smiley: