Incidental Judgement of your music taste

Do you care?

I’d like to say no, in general, but…

Cryin’ by Aerosmith just came up on shuffle while I’m sat here working from home, and I was singing along when one of our “cool” neighbours* walked past the window.

Not that I should care about what they think, but there is something about them thinking “Look at that man in his late 30s on his computer singing along to Aerosmith” that doesn’t sit well with me. I shouldn’t care, but a little part of me does.

Do you care?

• Yes
  • No
  • A little bit
  • A fair bit actually
  • More than I’d like to admit

0 voters

*this is based on the music that they play which bleeds through the walls. Many times I actually think “Huh, I think we could have a good chat about music” but that’d be weird because it’s based on my voyeuristic listening, and they have tons of friends already anyway.

Absolutely not. Used to be far too hung up on this and then just decided that I really don’t give a hoot, I’m having a nice time and that’s all that matters.

6 Likes

In general, I agree, and I care far less about it than I used to, but then moments like this happen and I realise I do still care a little, even if I don’t want to.

1 Like

Now I’m tryyyyyyyyyin’ to forget youuuuuu

6 Likes

Lol Ma0sm likes Aerosmith.

20 Likes

Also weird how I care about a total stranger in real life, but more than happy to share the fact that I’m singing along to cheesy Aerosmith on a board full of judgemental music nerds.

3 Likes

Get A Grip was the first album I ever owned

1 Like

I listened to and mostly didn’t hate Pump quite recently.

1 Like

Not even if someone holds your head under the duvet?

2 Likes

Someone unselfconsciously singing along to music they love is a wonderful thing. The song doesn’t matter.

Also quite weird when people offer judgements on your music. You know chances are if I’m listening to an album I own I like it, you thinking it’s shit is irrelevant.

3 Likes

I’m very sorry but I don’t get this reference.

I’ve sort of lost track of what is “cool” music anymore anyway (if I ever knew).

I’ll sing along to any old crap if I like it.

Generally, I try not to care too much but there is a little bit of me that does and I really wish I didn’t.

3 Likes

I don’t know what it is, but I know what it isn’t

1 Like

I was making a joke on ‘Pump’ being used as a polite euphemism for a fart and the idea of someone making you smell their farts.

It was funnier in my head but I’m 9.

it made me laugh (but then I also have a pretty childish sense of humour!)

1 Like

I don’t care and will happily throw open the windows while listening to Def Leppard

2 Likes

It doesn’t bother me, but then i find it exhausting when you say you don’t like something, and people automatically assume you trying to be cool or contrary or whatever. Why is it so hard to believe someone doesn’t like something? Like, The National really aren’t very good.

Remember once picking up a colleague from work (one not versed in the finer points of 21st century hip-hop) with Good Kid Mad City blasting at high volume. She was moderately astounded. Think she was expecting Coldplay or Kings of Leon.

3 Likes

I’ve bemused a few people by not being bothered about Radiohead.

3 Likes