Incredible acting performances?

Gary Oldman as Lee Oswald in JFK

You never saw me in Bugsy Malone.

2 Likes

And Dano again.

1 Like

Allison Janney in, well, everything really.

2 Likes

Are you seriously of the opinion that over the entire course of human history there has never been one actor who has delivered an incredible performance?

In before “I see enough people acting convincingly in my everyday life that I don’t need incredible acting performances”

6 Likes

I knew Ruffers would have my back on this.

Well I don’t think all acting is meant to be believable, but I do think there are actors who deliver performances that anyone else would find near impossible to do.

3 Likes

James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano has become the clichéd answer to the point of it making him overlooked.

10 Likes

Frank Langella as Nixon, to the extent that the original Frost/Nixon interviews are really tedious by comparison.

5 Likes

Everytime I hear real Nixon, I’m unconvinced bc it doesn’t sound authentically like Futurama Nixon

3 Likes

Gandolfini had an almost undescribable presence on screen where he dominated every scene with a weird brooding vulnerability. Very few actors have that. I’d struggle to name a handful. John Cazale had it. Brando had it. Pacino had it early on in his career. Eddie Marsan’s a good example of a British actor who for me has similar qualities. They’re the best kind of actors. He’s a fucking huge loss.

5 Likes

Jane Fonda in Klute
Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs
Frances McDormand in Fargo
Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive
Isabelle Huppert in the Piano Teacher
Juliette Binoche in Certified Copy

9 Likes

James Van Der Beek as Tobias Hankel in Criminal Minds

Javier bardem in no country for old men

7 Likes

Michael Caine in the muppets Christmas Carol

10 Likes

The kid in Kes.

3 Likes

Some actors are forever associated with certain roles in your mind, because they played them for so long. Most of the Friends cast, or Scrubs and so on.

Gandolfini just is Tony. Nothing to do with how long he did it for, just that from the first scene to the last he fully inhabited that character, made you believe in every word and action. It never felt anything less than fully authentic.

The whole gang in glengarry glen ross.

Astonishingly shit!

3 Likes

Jennifer Lawrence in Winter’s Bone, I’ve rarely felt as connected to a character in a drama as I did to her - despite my life bearing absolutely zero comparisons. That should have been what she got her Oscar for.

5 Likes