Inexplicably successful artists

Good to know I’m so old and out of touch I think kids are into the equivalent of Phil Collins. I’m glad if they aren’t.

Aren’t people allowed to say that a singer is attractive? I’m just telling the obvious. No need to be more catholic than the pope.

oof

If you are reductively attributing their success in no small part to it, then no - you can’t.

To extend your lazy analogy, there is no need to be more Catholic than the pope, but that doesn’t mean we should all be Catholic.

Wombats are so catchy, total feel good music. I get it, didn’t realise they were so big in Aus though

Drake’s music is unbelievably catchy for how unbelievably simple it is. I know I’ll get shit for this, but I really like his lyrics. His music also makes people feel happy, young and alive. I totally get it. He’s also been around and working hard for a long time…

I said it was one part of their success, not the most important part. Image is very important in showbiz. Deny it as much as you want, but the fact that Chvrches has an attractive lead singer contributed to their success.

Citation needed

Common sense.

Take Care by Drake is a masterpeice

100% agree. This and MBDTF by Kanye West are two records that are if anything even more harrowing when listened to in context of who each artist has become. Calls out into the void

Very much enjoying @AphexTwinkletoes in the latter stages of this thread.

:wink:

The ‘common sense’ thing feels like a ball rolling across an open goal.

Die Antwoord are inexplicably shit.

Kaiser Chiefs being a prime example

It’s fucking ace for sure

Elbow

Shit blur. Saw them on the same bill as Eels and Qotsa at Glastonbury a few years ago. Their utter mediocrity was thrown into rather cruel relief.

(Kaiser Cheifs: a band so shit that I get angry just thinking about them)

The Wonder Years. I just dont get it. They’re not poignant, original, or stimulating imo. I understand the world demands pop punk, but I struggle to see how anyone with even mild emotional maturity could stomach their lyrics and delivery.

You need to find examples of objectively unattractive bands (i.e. the whole band or a solo artist) with no image who were massively successful. All bands and artists are sold on image, they are all benefiting off it, whether they like it or not.

Just to make the point here’s an example of Thom Yorke back in the Pablo Honey era:

So to make a point about the attractiveness of Chvrches’s lead singer and then try to pass it off as a specific aspect of them looks bad.