Inexplicably successful artists

Interesting you mentioned Imagine Dragons, I was thinking of them as a similar act- and yes, they’re crap.
Also I think I’ve found the song that ushered in 21 Pilots/Imagine Dragons/Bastille… Alex Clare has a lot to answer for.

1 Like

I feel sooo bad for my best bud who is a musician and has very good music taste too, and has to put up with his wife having an intense adoration for 21 Pilots. Like stupid intense. Like she will completely derail a party in the wee hours drunkenly blasting it and dancing, with her alone not experiencing an ear bleed and churning nausea. This is a compounded issue due to their home being a common social gathering point as well. It’s so bad he is forced to go to their shows…and this weekend I discovered vinyl of theirs mingled amongst his otherwise stellar collection. If she wasn’t so easy on the eyes this would be grounds for a divorce if I were he. Poor bastard.

1 Like

Classic PARTS OVER FOLKS, GO HOME tactic :rofl:

3 Likes

Basically everyone just clears out into the back yard and let’s her have the living room to herself.

The worst of this happened this summer in St. Augustine, Florida. We had road tripped it across the State to see The National with Big Thief (great show, in a lovely amphitheater). Roughly six of us, it was a Saturday show so we rented a flat to party in for the weekend. Hanging out partying after the show, everyone feeling loose and upbeat like one does after a good show. After party starts out well enough back at the flat. In fact, the lady in question is happily doing a bit of stripper style dancing and perhaps a wee bit of playful strip teasing to some Rick Ross, this I find fun and enjoyable. When suddenly she yells out “you know what’s next!” And races to the iPhone to put on goddam 21 Pilots. I have never gone from pleasantly aroused to “fuck hell gotta escape this with sleep” so quickly. Shortly thereafter the party wrapped up, of course.

Weird.

Perhaps it’s karma for her husband and I sometimes doing something similar with The Frogs during the late stretch of a party if we get the urge to piss off the emo set of friends.

Agreed.

Concepts are interesting but the music is poor man’s big beat, like the Propellorheads.

6music seem to fucking revere them!

Yer man Pitbull

2 Likes

Mr Worldwide!

4 Likes

surprised he’s not in here, given the number of Limmy fans on DiS

2 Likes

It’s alright - we haven’t mentioned every band yet, so there’s still plenty of mileage in the thread.

2 Likes

Their popularity is well earned. Chvrches have many great tunes, a memorable image, a very catchy sound and last but not least a very attractive lead singer. They are very likeable especially for synthpop fans.

1 Like

I’m here.

Nah.

3 Likes

They deserved their success.

Feel free to disagree but my explanation makes sense. It’s from the point of view of a synthpop fan like me.

Same. Adele makes Coldplay to sound like MBV.

Daft Punk’s first 2 albums were rightfully praised, their third was almost panned and their fourth was overtly acclaimed. But even their undercooked third album was quite redeemed after the amazing live album Alive 2007 which included songs from that album expertly blended with older material. Overall, Daft Punk are overrated but they still deserve some acclaim.

2 Likes

I think Public Service Broadcasting are really good, really groovy and with great melodies to support their sampling gimmick. Shame about their underwhelming third album Every Valley. Boring concept and boring execution.

the most important criteria of a band being good of course

19 Likes