Inside Number 9 Mega Thread

episode had a bit of synchronicity for me, reading colson whitehead- the intuitionist at the mo, about an elevator inspector. the most recent play i saw was dr faustus too, might be pushing it though, given that was over a year ago

1 Like

Just remembered I never updated!

The podcast did reveal more about the names. For Urban Bedford it was a reference to Urbain Grandier, a French preist burned at the stake after being convicted of witchcraft - a fascinating story actually. Curt was named as he was exactly that, rudely brief. Mr D Webster, the D stood for Daniel in reference to ‘The Devil and Daniel Webster’, where the lawyer argued his way out of a pact with the devil. All very clever, as always.

2 Likes

Never heard of the Urbain story, interesting - thanks!

1 Like

I’d only heard it cause another podcast I listen to covered it, but did re-read it after the guys mentioned it last week. Apparently there is a movie based on the story, The Devils (1971) which I keep meaning to check out.

Also…

Fortunately there’s a new #InsideNo9 tonight at 10pm @bbctwo 🇬🇧
Unfortunately it’s the last in the series 😢
Fortunately we are filming series 7 later this year 😁
There are no more unfortunatelys 👍 pic.twitter.com/uxd801JDWl

— Steve Pemberton (@SP1nightonly) June 14, 2021
2 Likes

Oh I have seen The Devils but years ago, it’s all slipped my mind. The director going on Big Brother with H from Steps and Jade Goody etc is surreal enough

1 Like

This is something I did not know, and is indeed incredibly surreal.

1 Like

Think he annoyed Leo Sayer enough with his snoring that Sayer demanded another room to sleep in

1 Like

That is wild, and not something I ever could have imagined i’d read :joy:

1 Like

Only ever watched a few episodes of this over the years and never went back for whatever reason, but been going through them all on iPlayer recently and my god it’s so good. Incredibly hit rate for an anthology show and really impressed with the writing/production values overall.

4 Likes

I’ve only listened to the first episode of the podcast for the current series but it was interesting that they said half of series 6 was actually written for series 7 but got brought forward as they were better for covid friendly filming, presumably some of series 7 will have been written for series 6.

1 Like

Thought that one was a bit stupid and they really do have an unfortunate habit of making their characters say awful things unnecessarily

1 Like

Agreed, I was disappointed with that. Especially in comparison to how incredible last week’s was…

1 Like

yeah not great, not the worst of the series but I don’t think the whole concept and ending really worked out

2 Likes

Agreed. There were twists but not particularly great ones. Vaguely interesting concept but for me it just didn’t quite work well…

I’ll be interested to hear the insight Reece & Steve provide on the podcast when I listen tomorrow or Wednesday.

2 Likes

It kind of lost me right away when Penny started grinding up against Yusuf, that was really jarring

1 Like

Yeh…that was uncomfortable but not in a usual Inside No 9 way but in a, this is uncomfortable and doesn’t really add to/feel important within the plot.

1 Like

Flummoxed by that one, totally.

1 Like

not sure what was going on there. felt a bit like they wrote the characters and the Proms setting/Brexit stuff and then winged the rest of the story a bit

2 Likes

Agreed. It did feel like it didn’t flow very well at all.