Interactive Historical Maps

This is bloody brilliant

3 Likes

I thought Heathrow Aerodrome was a good place to start

Brilliant. Exactly my sort of thing, this.

2 Likes

maps used to be beautiful

1 Like

would love to see some really ye olde medieval maps or something, the oldest one on here is lovely, can’t believe how much detail there is. Must have taken a million years

I can’t find it just now but there was a nice one with locations where ancient greek myths were supposed to take place.

1 Like

Dammit, was meant to do loads of work today.

1 Like

Interactive historical boyfriends

2 Likes

I don’t like the side-by-side view. Much better to overlay them and adjust the transparency.

There’s a good Edinburgh one here

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9dfa229ba4004f7ca642ed3bd9702094

If you click the four box icon in the top right corner, there are aerial photos back to the 1940s and historic maps back to 1850

1 Like

What’s doubly good is you can buy prints of the maps for not very much money. We bought the oldest Sussex Map we could find from there, as well as the oldest city map which has our house on it too, and for the two it was less than twenty five quid.

Equivalent maps from local framers / print shops can cost hundreds of pounds.

Got a few books at home about the history of cartography, and others that are just page after page of historical maps. Love it.

1 Like

The 1914 25-incher is amazing. Gonna spend all night on that.

Shame there isn’t a more recent one with that level of detail to compare to.

That’s a stunner

So so detailed

1 Like

Depends where you are in the country, but there is a 1944-67 map for some areas to the same level of detail.