Interesting Building Thread

My old company in Leeds was very close to moving to this site… Then the recession hit.

Big fan of Boston City Hall

Remember telling a native Bostonian how much we liked it and them refusing to believe it and insisting we had mistaken it for one of the older buildings.

3 Likes

is this what’s on the cover of The North by Stars?

1 Like

It is!

1 Like

had a look at this yesterday

it’s large

this isn’t interesting in itself, but is interesting because of what’s happened on top of it. someone wanted to build an office building or something but there was a church in the way so they just built over the top of the church. (athens)

1 Like

Apparently that’s the heaviest building in the world, not sure how you work that out though.

1 Like

Rotterdam station is imo good

3 Likes

Somewhat similar, I present the Mexican embassy in DC:

The houses incorporated (well, the facades) are the final two of the “Seven Buildings”, some of the first residential buildings in the city.

3 Likes

Reminds me of this church in Pisa, right up against the river, not sure how it came to be where it is:

1 Like

Always the National Library of Kosovo

9 Likes

Weigh one brick and multiply by the number of bricks used in construction, then add a bit.

That’s really nice

1 Like

That’s quite a bit like the old central library in Birmingham that for most of its existence was apparently an eyesore that must be destroyed. I always liked it though.

can we poll some buildings?

birmingham bullring

• good
  • bad
0 voters

Saw some great gigs in there

Library of Birmingham

• Good
  • Bad

0 voters

Not sure how I feel about this. It feels a bit like poverty tourism. There’s something similar in Brighton, but they’re used to as super low cost housing to get homeless people off the streets when they’re ready for the next stage after hostels, along with some working space too:

https://www.qedproperty.com/qed-projects/shipping-container-offices-cobblers-thumb

Birmingham New Street station/Grand Central

• Good
  • Bad
0 voters

https://inhabitat.com/nyc/photos-couple-moves-into-stacked-shipping-container-home-in-williamsburg-brooklyn/

They were sound and so was there dog