Interveneing in nature

Saw a magpie attack a family of blue tits at the weekend. It managed to grab one mid air and bashed it on the ground, at which point I ran over an intervened. Scared the magpie off and it dropped the blue tit. I tried to help the blue tit but it was too injured so I left it. Then I thought I have prolonged its death should I go back and finish it off? But I didn’t have the heart, then the fucking magpie came back anyway and got it.
I should never have got involved or am I too part of nature so…?
Put a bit of a downer on the day.

“The rule of thumb is that if human activity causes an animal to become injured or orphaned, we may intervene. If not—if it’s something that happened naturally—then we don’t,”

You mean to tell me you wud watch an innocent blue tit being mauled by a magpie, its not ancient Rome!

Sorry you had to see that, it’s always unpleasant. If i can call the rspca (they only come if the animal can’t move) then I will. We had a injured pigeon in the garden and phoned them and they came to take her away, but if the animal can stagger off it’s not usually worth calling them to come out. You can ask them for advice too if you ring them

Some crow will come and have that magpie - food chain innit

Pretty distressing but I dunno

I did rescue this little chap from the clutches of an evil magpie a couple of years ago, was instinctive but I dunno it it was the ’right thing to do’ or owt

We had a mole that was trapped in our old air raid shelter in the garden (it has steep concrete steps leading down into it). My mum phoned the RSPCA and asked what she should do. Their reply was to hit it over the head with a shovel.

Saw a dog grab a squirrel in a park near me recently and basically shake it 'til it died. Dog owner and daughter were in tears, trying to get the dog off it. But it all happened really quickly. Was a Jack Russell I think.

Did get me thinking. My mum was with us and tried to console the owners, telling them it’s only natural for a dog to do that. But then you think “but isn’t it us who bred them to be like that? And that grey squirrel - didn’t we bring them over to this country… etc etc” and spent the rest of the day wearing an expression like…

GleefulRipeIndianspinyloach-mobile

Oh man. :frowning:

Found a kitten that had crawled into a glass recycling bin once but as it had got in there itself I couldn’t intervene so just had to empty my bag of glass on top of it and walk off :slightly_frowning_face:

oh my god :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

jesus christ

He would have left him on the cross too

errmmm any chance of any pics?!

Rescued a sheep that was caught in a barbed wire fence once. But maybe that barbed wire fence was just trying to feed its young?

Remember the time I rescued a squirrel that had got its head stuck in a kit kat wrapper?

:grinning:

Hero.

Not on me, no, unfortunately.

I’ve lived in two houses that had an air raid shelter in the garden - they were inter-war suburban places, and they often still had Anderson shelters in the garden in the 1980s.

Ours were full in-situ concrete things though. There’s no way they’re coming out without digging up the whole garden.

Last year a fox managed to corner a squirrel in our front garden. Did the whole shaking it around thing, very gruesome. But it was disturbed and ran off. Squirrel was very dead, and the fox came back later and had off with it.

Worth mentioning that it’s illegal to release a grey squirrel that you’ve found trapped. They are pests.