Interview stories

eggs

I said in that other thread that I somehow managed to get a second interview, they want me to spend half a day writing an interactive web app. I’m not sure that I’ll bother, they haven’t even told me what the package (lol) would be. Is that sort of thing normal now? It would be a good place but I’ve googled their names and they seem insufferable.

Tell me some interview stories please, like how much effort you’ve had to put in and stuff so that I can judge if I’m being lazy/unreasonable.

Someone I know went out the fire escape after an interview once and set the fire alarm off :smiley:

Oh chat: permitted.

That’s not an interview, that’s work.

That’s kind of how i see it, could I do it and charge them? They want the code on github lol.

Remember one really bad one where at the end they asked the standard what do you need to work/improve on question and I said “interviews”. Ahhh, how we laughed! And you know what? I did not get the job

I did around a half day task for my current job, they said it should take around 2 hours but it took me longer (either because I was more thorough :nerd: or, more likely, slacked off more than I should have :sleeping:)

write an interactive web app which builds an invoice for the time incurred building the interactive web app

have you found them on glassdoor? always worth checking that to see just how bad they are

No, I haven’t, that’s a good point, although I suspect that there won’t be anything about them there yet.

startup?

“obviously as a startup we’re quite minimal on salary provision, but we do offer share options, which you can cash in after 6 years.”

I had about four interviews for my current job one involved a 2 hour technical exam and the other involved being interviewed by the head of my department about theoretical task that involved a sorting algorithm.

I kind of took it as just good bants though because I didn’t think I’d get the job anyway.

Not really funny but was asked whether I preferred a loud or quiet office. I’ve no particular preference so said I’ve worked in both but they pushed me and said I NEEDED to give them an answer. Said quieter was preferable if they really wanted an answer and they said it was a loud office so I’d struggle to fit in but gave me the job anyway.

Flat out worst one was an “interview” for a reporting job on the Yorkshire Post. Had to travel to Leeds from south Wales, and it turned out the interview was actually an entire day spent on the news desk, rewriting press releases handed to me by a bored looking news editor, who was about the only person who actually deigned to speak to me all day. About 5pm I went for an actual interview with the editor, where he told me a couple of minutes in that they’d actually prefer a fully qualified senior reporter, a level I couldn’t reach for another 18 months, so the entire day had been an utter waste except for them to get a few sidebars of their pretentious rag filled.

Did I mention that all this took place on my birthday?

The place itself is newish but not a start up and I don’t think it would be dodgy at all. It’s a new museum/art gallery. The people though do come across as a bit start up, if I could put it that way, as in technology seems to be their lives.

Don’t know if this is just anecdotal fluff, but I’ve seen hypothetical questions happen in more and more interviews. I fucking hate them.

Got asked at a recent interview what I would do in a scenario where “two members of my team were arguing in a meeting about the best way forward on a project”. That was it, all the information they could give. Bear in mind I’ve got no management experience and the interviewers were well aware of it. Managed to get the job but I still resent this approach.

My partner had a worse one with the HMRC where they asked her what she would do if someone called asking for information she didn’t know. After giving her answer of speaking with colleagues/management, the interviewer said “well, yes, but couldn’t you also look at the staff intranet?” Except they didn’t say before the question started that there even was a fucking intranet.

Not really an interview story:

I was interviewed for the job as an insolvency accountant.

The partner called me early evening to offer me the job as I waited at Paddington for my train home. I was unimpressed by the firm but, crucially, did not want to be an insolvency practitioner, even before the interview, so treated the interview as a bit for practise. Plus, it meant I got to visit Canary Wharf for the first time ever.

He spent a good twenty minutes trying to persuade me. He just about maintained his dignity although was close to swearing a couple of times. I have no idea what he thought his remonstrating would achieve.

“Yeh, sure, you seem like a reasonable guy. What time on Monday?”

Group interviews too. Fuck them. Had one for Game where they had 15 of us sit cross legged on the shop floor with no air con during the hottest day of a summer. Three minutes in and people were visibly pouring with sweat. Going round in a circle they asked us their questions one by one, so it didn’t need to be a group interview but they wanted to save on the time. If I wasn’t desperate back then I would have walked out before the end of it.

literally cut an interview short because it was going so badly. said something like ‘Yeah, I think this isn’t really for me - thanks for your time’ and got up and left leaving them looking completely bewildered. never have I felt more free. was a bit like Peep Show when Mark jumps out the window before the presentation ‘I COULD JOIN AL-QAEDA!’

My brother once went to a group interview for a job at Urban Outfitters, he got asked what he thought was important about diversity and replied: “Diversity - an old, old wooden ship?” to absolute deafening silence from everyone.

He still got the job because he’s a handsome fuck.

this is kind of what I want to do but it won’t have the same impact via email