Iran

Anyone else got a really properly bad feeling about this?

2 Likes

Yes, 100%. This is not fucking good at all.

3 Likes

Yeah but I did about North Korea, China and Russia too.

6 Likes

Deeply concerned. Iran isn’t like Afghanistan or Iraq

3 Likes

Could you expand on this?

I think it’s great Phillips has hired a failed anti-Corbyn MP to be her mouthpiece. Really tells you everything you need to know.

2 Likes

imagine automatically thinking the usa is ‘the right side’

4 Likes

This really ain’t good.

In a purely realist sense, Iran is a far more powerful nation with wide ranging influences and allies

2 Likes

4 Likes

No-one can win a land war against Iran.

There will be retaliations against US forces wherever the opportunity presents itself, but I reckon they will go after the Saudis to inflict deeper structural damage.

Can’t help seeing this air strike as anything other than a deliberate provocation to war

Is this how Trump has planned to escape impeachment and win 4 more years?

What happens now? US is forced to withdraw from Iraq? Or floods Iraq with new troops for a war with Iran? Good job the whole region is so stable …

1 Like

Lots of chat about this being exactly that (i.e. diversion from impeachment). He also seem to think he might be able to postpone the election.
I’m seeing my eyebrow technician at lunchtime (she’s Iranian) and will ask her what she thinks. She thinks Iran is an absolute hellhole though (she’s a lesbian so you can imagine how much fun that was for her growing up).

12 Likes

Trump doesn’t plan and had nothing to do with this. Some completely unsupervised CIA psychos saw an opportunity and took it.

There’s a lot of friction in US foreign policy circles right now because a group of well-connected wonks and the fundamentalists have wanted war with Iran since basically forever, but the brass know it’s unworkable and refuse to let it become an all-out conflict. Trump himself is a paleoconservative and when he’s able to remember that doesn’t want to get involved either. Ofc he can only really remember what the last thing anyone told him was.

1 Like

And Iran, Iran so far away
Just Iran, Iran all night and day
I couldn’t get away

6 Likes

Was reading about the infrastructure in US security that literally calls itself The Blob, bureaucrats and general hawks that never really cares who’s in office, it just does what it wants.

1 Like

Favourite post of the decade (so far) :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah and under Trump they have even less oversight, because he fired everyone who might perform it and doesn’t give a shit about foreign policy at all. It’s just a thing unto itself now, doing wild, stupid things like this, the attempted Venezeulan coup and pulling out of Kurdish territory.

They can chalk Bolivia up as a success I guess.

1 Like

What @Ruffers said basically. Iran is powerful, in terms of its military and reach with established networks across the middle east made of veteran fighting groups like the yemeni houthis. It is a long established and stable region, self sufficient in terms of its own military unlike saudi who buys their shit from the US. Like the other nations i mentioned, they dont have a weak central government. They are a democratic country and the aggression from the west is uniting iranians of different ideals rather than fracturing them. They are not like Saudi who will hold hands with jared kushner, they are not like Afghanistan, with a government heavily relying on foreign subsidies and struggling to control anything more than their capital city. It is a nation to take very seriously and the US strategies implemented in other parts of the middle east wont wash over there. What Corbyn said is totally right, they should be trying to employ restraint, war with iran should not be entered into lightly

23 Likes

Thought this was what you meant, but was hoping to get more nuanced detail from you (which you have now provided). Thank you!

1 Like