Is Die Hard really a Christmas film? #FilmTalk #FilmChat

https://zizekpress.com/2013/02/18/die-hard-and-the-comfort-of-crisis-an-interview-with-slavoj-zizek/

in light of capitalism/Xmas film chat, seems like the right place to post this

1 Like

Uncultured swine

7 Likes

Finally some clarity!

Not at all. Anti-system perhaps, as all guerrilla warriors are, but if you consider what he is defending then it would be difficult to promote him as anti-capitalist. He’s the defender of the castle, the quick thinker, the barbarian, the survivalist who does whatever it takes to succeed, which is inherently capitalist. And, tellingly, all actions from both characters occur inside the building, the physical actualisation of the ideal, and not from external threat…the police and FBI are shown to be impotent throughout the film…which suggests, of course, an inevitability of implosion, of the ideal eating itself.

That’s what I meant^

2 Likes

the best xmas film is…
Carol

1 Like

The muppet one?

1 Like

the todd haynes one
not really familiar with the muppets

They’re fine

2 Likes

watch this every year at christmas for some reason.

gonna stick on battleship potemkin on christmas day and will post back with my family’s reaction.

2 Likes

I’m always tasked with sourcing an after-dinner film for the family on Christmas Day. I think last year I chose Slow West. No idea this year!

1 Like

What a tag line

4 Likes

1 Like

I cried like a big ol’ baby first time I watched this. I think I posted the end in a thread about good monologues not too long ago.

1 Like

While it’s not directly a Christmas film it’s sort of moved into that status now as it’s always on tv around then and of course set there but it’s not a conventional one but people shouldn’t think they’re being wacky by saying it’s their fav Xmas film (but surely no one says it for that)

Is Gremlins a Xmas film? I’m going to say yes.

4 Likes

thought you meant die hard there lol

4 Likes

Of course it is! In every possible way!

3 Likes

This but Paul Blart Mall Cop

5 Likes

IS there a “oh god who cares?” option?

2 Likes