Is it time for Record Store Day to end?

Or maybe it should just be for CDs, as there’s not enough resource for pressing vinyl.

I say this because that pointless picture disc of an album you already own 2 copies of… is probably why your favourite new or independent act has pushed their album back to 2023 :grimacing:

Here’s Rupert from Drift Records with a far more insightful piece about it

4 Likes

yes

26 Likes

Every sale now is just bargain bin RSD shit. Or ‘love record store’ day. Or something else. Still overpriced when on sale too. Hate it.

9 Likes

Close the thread

Yes. It fucking sucks, it’s always fucking sucked and it does even more so now there’s less capacity for vinyl printing.

3 Likes

Can’t find the article, but the owners of One Up in Aberdeen were interviewed saying the same thing way back in 2012. It’s a stressful day full of rude people turning up looking for exclusives they don’t have in the shop and never seen again until the following year.

Always fascinated by how different the vibe is in our Facebook comments

Never wanted anything from it as it’s all overpriced gimmicks, and now it seems the beneficial aspect for the stores has gone too. Piece o bunch o dogshit

yes, after the first year. its not even a discussion anymore.

It’s been rubbish for the better part of a decade now. I really enjoyed it when it meant that really desirable titles got a rerelease to satisfy a bit of a niche audience, along with bands doing special releases to drive people to neglected record shops.

But who the fuck is longing for this at £35 a pop??

3 Likes

Don’t really get it, just seems to be overpriced picture discs of stuff. I assume it’s for people who don’t actually play records and just have them on a wall or something.

2 Likes

It’s one of those things that I really don’t get. It seems so self-obviously bad and from the amount of RSD release in sales these days it’s clear a lot of stuff isn’t selling.

But, aside from a tiny number, record shops still seem to be very much into it. Why? There must still be benefits, right?

people are so quick to dismiss others as snobby over music. It’s gone the other way in the past 20 years or so. Quite interesting in a way.

That chap saying there are loads of new releases on the list also?

Im not expert enough and haven’t heard of loads so maybe that is the case…but doesn’t feel like it

None of the ones i speak to are, but feel obliged to take part.

2 Likes

Always seemed nonsensical that it’s aim was to entice people into going into record stores… by showing them what record stores are not like on any other day of the year.

5 Likes

It’s symptomatic that they need to be involved because it’s keeping them going… it’s the same reason they stocked Adele, because it sells, even if it’s why popular releases take 9 months to get a repress and smaller independent acts often waiting over a year between recording a record and being able to release it… and some skipping doing vinyl to get it on streaming so that they can get media coverage to sell gig tickets, as the margins on a few thousand vinyl sales aren’t even that great

Record Store Day has never chimed with how I buy music. I don’t want vinyl I can’t listen to and I don’t want limited editions no one else has. I’ve been buying music from independent shops for more than 20 years and Record Store Day has only ever been a day to avoid going in a record store.

7 Likes

Personally have always found what they release kind of strange and I don’t think it’s snobbishness - if it was new versions of e.g. Rumors or say new big pop album that most people are streaming, that would make sense. But I look at the lists each year and it all seems so random and inexplicable.

I guess if it is still doing the job of getting people who wouldn’t otherwise go to record shops to go into them then it is working. Maybe the records themselves mean little and what happens on the day or benefit to the shops is also irrelevant, if what it does is act as a PR exercise for the general (and still apparently going strong) ‘vinyl revival’.

So maybe it stopped benefiting independent shops a long time ago but still benefits the industry as a whole?

Why would I go out and buy two or three new CDs when for the same money I could get one picture disc with two tracks on it that I already own, play it once, gawp briefly at the colour of the vinyl, coo “Oh! Isn’t it lovely?”, then file it away on my shelf and never interact with it again?

I’m 49 and determined never to fall into the “it was better in my day/there’s nothing good anymore” trap, but between this and NFTs perhaps I’m becoming a boomer after all. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If it’s keeping them going, then fine I guess. My question, as said, was that the amount of RSD material in sales recently a lot of it isn’t selling.

As I’ve said before in these threads, lack of pressing capacity has been a growing issue for years now, even back to when I was pressing vinyl in the mid 00s. It’s very much the industry’s problem that it hasn’t been solved and - if RSD stuff is delaying smaller releases while also keeping recording stores in business - it seems very weird to suggest record stores should be the ones to suffer from the lack of investment by the industry.

3 Likes