Is it wrong to wear a white poppy?

Never won a poppy of any colour. Never felt any inclination to do so. If I was to wear one, though, I’d probably opt for the purple one.

:horse::cat2::cat:>3

careful Boris

i grow my own and wear them

an old favourite, which I like to remember around this time of year:

I’m a twat… Hit the like button way too many times on the picture before I realised it was just a picture…

Tend to agree with most people in this thread that the red poppy has become a jingoistic symbol, one that glorifies war not least through the association with “kids these days” types and the British Army.

But then I see a veteran stood at a British Legion stall on his own and think “he doesn’t want all this. He probably just wants to spread the message that war is cruel and killed many of his friends/family” and it makes me sad that the tribalists have stolen this message.

i like the RBL a lot. i dont mind what people do about poppies but i like the RBL a lot.

It’s not a question of stealing it unfortunately, it’s actually worse than that. Bear in mind there aren’t that many veterans of WWII left around and none from WWI. As they die out the driving force of the (I would still contend) powerful message of remembrance and “let’s vow to never do this again” will continue to weaken. The introduction of the white poppy, the co-opting of the red poppy for jingoistic purposes and (as can be seen in this thread) the tacit assumption that it actually is a military symbol are all part of the same continuum of eroding the original message.

And eventually we’ll make the same old mistake again. Because we’ll have forgotten to remember.

@bluto, oh @bluto - now you’re in jaaaaaail…

Indeed. I share a hometown with the Accrington Pals and their tragic story still haunts the town a century on.

Will Neil Hodgson be playing Motorcycle Emptiness?

Introduction?

They’ve been around since 1933 - only 12 years after the red ones.

Also, the original inspiration for the remembrance poppy was never used to force the message "let’s vow to never do this again”. It was introduced to commemorate military personnel who died in the first world war, coupled with raising funds for injured military personnel.

I’ve seen that at quite a few stations. I guess next year every single posterboard will show a picture of a poppy, lest anyone think that they don’t care as much in 2019.

12 years is quite a long time no? I’m well aware of how long ago the introduction of the white poppy was.

You’ll also notice that I didn’t say that “let’s vow to never do this again” was the original intention behind the remembrance poppy (although I can see how you might assume that was what I was saying). Rather it’s a sentiment that’s sat alongside it for a very long time, and since my whole point was concerned with the way that public sentiment on a range of issues develops and changes over time that’s quite an important factor.

Actually that wasn’t my whole point. The rest of my point was that we’re going to have another world war some day, and no amount of variously coloured poppies is going to prevent it, sadly.

Genuinely a bit conflicted this morning to pass through the tube and hear the recorded messages from Jo Brand of all people exhorting us to “support our armed forces, past and present”. This is dangerously close to crossing the line for me, perhaps it already has.

Actually going to buy/wear a red poppy this year cos it’s 100 years since the end of WW1 (which I assume is partly why councils etc are going all out) and also because my grandad, who fought in WW2, died last year.

He never talked about it and hated any fuss, which is part of the reason I haven’t worn one for years - that and the cynical bullying of people who don’t wear them - but thinking of him now he’s gone, and remembering how low-key he was about his contribution, has helped drown out the usual noise. i don’t care if people do or don’t wear a poppy, or what colour it is.

(unrelatedly - where do you actually get a white poppy? I’ve never seen them sold or worn. It’s something I’ve considered doing)

Yeah I can empathise with a lot of what you say there. I guess the problem I am now wrestling with is: if I wear a symbol of something, but my reasons for wearing it are not the same as the majority of other people wearing it now then why am I wearing it?

If you see what I mean?

The Peace Pledge Union list some outlets for the white poppies, or you can get them online.

http://archive.ppu.org.uk/whitepoppy/outlets2017.html