Is there a bigger potential culinary rip-off than the afternoon tea?

Discussion from the daily thread

Use this thread to talk about afternoon tea rip-offs, or any other meals that are way overpriced.

Oh, wow!

2 Likes

Boozy brunches. Couple of hours unlimited food a booze at 11am on a Sunday for like £30

End up having to go to sleep afterwards

3 Likes

Haha, I know. That’s how low the bar is for an afternoon tea

1 Like

Steak.

3 Likes

Good call. Never bother with this as it’s always £10 more than anything else on the menu, without justification

1 Like

Most things labelled vegan, whack £2 on

2 Likes

We’re worth it.

I suppose with afternoon tea you’re kind of paying for the experience of it as well as the food: twee crockery, cake stands, all that stuff.

Don’t necessarily disagree with your point, though.

Those tasting menus where you get 10 bite-size ‘courses’ for about £150 a head.

4 Likes

Steak does cost considerably more than anything else to buy in though, especially if it’s good quality.

I just paid £32 yesterday for an afternoon tea for two (no booze!) to be delivered to my Nan and her wife.

Tbh it’s the same price I’d pay for flowers and food is a better gift (especially as her eyesight is going and she’s been quite poorly).

6 Likes

Pizza is the biggest rip off

That and fancy coffee

Local Indian and craft beer

2 Likes

Also, there are places round here that charge £15 for a crab sandwich.

Being in between two crabs is a once in a lifetime experience to be fair

15 Likes

Happens all the time round here. Combination of adventurous crabs and unreliable satnav directions.

1 Like

Massive margins on pizza but it’s also one of the ultimate foods that is extremely hard to get wrong. Paying for that safety. Totally fine with paying up to or just over a tenner tbh.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m just a violent classless buffoon, but I always get enraged when I look at the portions they do on the television programme Masterchief. That bullshit squiggle they do on the plate with that green bollocks as well is just the cherry on top, except worse because there isn’t a cherry on top of anything

4 Likes

I know pizza is technically a rip-off but it’s so fucking baller that it doesn’t bother me at all

1 Like