Is there a bigger potential culinary rip-off than the afternoon tea?

Most bottomless brunch places in London don’t even give you unlimited food. You get one dish and then unlimited mimosas/beers whatever. So you really have to drink a lot to make it worth it. Makes a complete mockery of the word “bottomless”.

Edit: I see you said boozy brunch not bottomless but the point still stands.

Soft drinks in pubs.

£3 for a half pint of lemonade syrup mixed with water.

15 Likes

Properly narks me those people who are like “ooh it’s just posh cheese on toast”

I like cheese on toast but you can’t fold it up in your hand and pretend you’re in the Sopranos can you

I used to work somewhere that was very popular for its afternoon teas, and we put tonnes of effort into them. At the time 90 per cent of the cakes we had in were made by local bakers, including a couple of our staff (it’s now 100 per cent I think) and we spent a lot of time on prep and arrangement. They also used to be quite competitively priced, we were definitely doing them at a fairly steep discount on the individual products and in a high-volume cafe environment they represented a real workflow challenge.

I’d definitely agree that a lot of places take the royal piss though. Very much sandwiches over substance.

4 Likes

Places that sell burgers and fries separately. Oh and if you want cheese on your burger that’s an extra £2. Just piss off ffs.

5 Likes

More places should sell good quality cheese on toast.

I love those. I’m saying “worth it”.

2 Likes

10 courses, every one of them toast.

fine dining. there’s only so fine something should be and that’s too fine

4 Likes

£200 pp from me for that

5 Likes

everything else is underpriced though

11 Likes

Gonna need a HUGE citation on that because, fuck me, a tonne of cheap pizza takeaway places (particularly ones that also do chips) and Domino’s show fucking up a pizza is depressingly easy.

6 Likes

A lot of people enjoy these pizzas

A lot of people enjoy a lot of different foods. Pizza is as variable as the next meal.

1 Like

There are very good afternoon teas that are absolutely worth the money and then there are sad disappointing rip offs. Got to chose carefully

1 Like

Was pricing one of these up in my head the other day and came to the conclusion that you’d have to be pouring the drinks down your neck to get the value. Suppose it’d be alright on a stag/hen do or something.

Yeah personal opinion comes into it, but I’d suggest that the largest pizza chain in the world generally aren’t getting pizza ‘wrong’ and the success of that particular variety goes some way to proving my proving my original point.

You’ve gotta smash it to get your money’s worth then it’s 1pm and you’re absolutely smashed

1 Like

I like the idea of these places, but did one once and had to reluctantly conclude that ‘its not for me, Clive’.

1 Like