Is There Any Anime Lovers

Yeah thought it was a bit of a mixed bag. The Gundam designs were great but just thought the ending was a bit Meh.
The whole Chars evil half created this other vuy stuff was suitably zany.

Ever watched Death Note?
Reckon itā€™s good atmospheric cat and mouse crime mixed with good supernatural gubbins.

Full Metal Alchemist is also class.

Fucking forgot about that! Will probably watch the film version again some morning with the child. GF does not care for anime one bit so donā€™t have much time to watch it these days.

1 Like

Didnā€™t know there was a film version. Might watch that after the original Gundam films as its the same time line.
Mrs TWI likes some anime but aye end up watching some after she goes to sleep or if Iā€™m off work.

We are all free to have our own wrong opinions :grin:

Youā€™re definitely right about it being difficult to show to someone else who isnā€™t deeply invested in it

1 Like

4 Likes

Yeah iircā€¦
But utterly bizarre it was never revisited.

1 Like

Possibly the greatest opening theme of all time

6 Likes

CANADA!

3 Likes

donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen someone recommend an anime without saying ā€œit takes half a season to get into itā€.

no! Iā€™m very busy, make it good from the start

Iā€™m not very busy really

TETSUO!?

really like the motorcycle chase/battle scene at the start of that

1 Like

1 Like

I watch anime shows every so often. The first was Cowboy Bebop, which was decent. Iā€™ve since watched:
Trigun - which I started off liking and then it just became irritating and I donā€™t think I finished it.
Paranoia Agent - Watched years ago and should re-watch. Part of the Very Psychological genre, so to speak.
Eureka Seven - started to watch and could not stomach all the gross stuff. Just not for me (ad thatā€™s a big reason I donā€™t watch much anime).
Bleach - started strong and then become ridiculous and unwatchable. Also, when youā€™re fighting evil spirits that you know are evil spirits and the evil spirits gleefully monologue their evil spirit plans to you, donā€™t start crying and yelling ā€œoh my gawd you are sooooo meeeeaaannn!ā€ because that is pretty stupid. Evil spirits - itā€™s right there in the name.
One Punch Man - Really like season one a lot. Have not yet seen season two.
JoJoā€™s Bizarre Adventure - Iā€™ve only seen one season (the second one, I think) and itā€™s wonderful and amazing and I need to watch the entire thing some day. However, there is a lot of violence throughout and Iā€™m not up for that right now.
Samurai Champloo - It was interesting. Iā€™ll give it a re-watch one of these days.
Soul Eater - So, I started watching this when I was homeless and having serious problems with anxiety and the show ends up talking a lot about fear/anxiety and what it does to you and turned into a sort of therapy for me. Some intense stuff but also fun episodes. (some episodes I didnā€™t like because of how a male character would behave but thatā€™s not the entire series, so.)
Way of the Househusband - Iā€™m reading the manga (which I love) and the ā€œanimeā€ follows that pretty faithfully but itā€™s barely animated. Iā€™m hoping the live action gets a sub-titled in English release.
Full Metal Alchemist - I liked it but probably wonā€™t re-watch.
Beserk - I watched most of the first episode, scrabbled for the remote, then burned my televsion beneath a blasted oak at midnight. eesh. Also, the manga artist is a gross person.
Hellsing - Very pretty. I watched part of season one and it was ok? On the list of shows to maybe watch in full some day.
One Piece - Iā€™ve seen two random episodes. It looked amusing but everything Iā€™ve come across mentions that it became completely absurd ( a la Bleach) and stopped being amusing or even interesting. Another show that just dragged on and on and on.
Boogiepop Phantom - Quite liked.
Death Note - Very pretty but did not hold my attention.
Dragonball in all its permutations - Long internal monologues and minutes on end of AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH but still rather fun. Have only watched in small bursts and should probably start over.
Lupin the Third - I will finish watching all the episodes any day now. No, really.
Space Dandy - File this with JoJoā€™s Bizarre Adventures.
Trinity Blood - I have a vague recollection of this borrowing heavily from Catholic imagery and such but thatā€™s about it. Another one of those ā€œitā€™s pretty? got that going for it? I guess?ā€
Iā€™ve heard good things about Afro Samurai and it is on my list to watch.

Movies - Studio Ghibli, of course.
Vampire Hunter D and the sequel
Paprika
Millennium Actress
Night on the Galactic Railroad
My Neighbors the Yamadas
The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl
Tokyo Godfathers
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

2 Likes

Any love for Kids On The Slope? Itā€™s another show from Cowboy Bebopā€™s Shinichiro Watanabe, but a completely different set up. Taking place in early 60s Kyushu, it is the story of Kaoru, a timid high school student who has to start at a new school thanks to his fatherā€™s move to a new job. He is a classical pianist, but soon falls in with Sentaro, a wild and undisciplined student who is also a drummer. Sentaro introduces him to jazz, and they begin to play together in the basement of the local jazz record shop, with the store owner joining in on double bass. The ownerā€™s daughter, Ritsuko, becomes the third main character, and the narrative of the series is driven by the shifting relationships between them, but really itā€™s all about the joy of music.

Looks like thereā€™s a dub of the whole thing on YouTube as well. Itā€™s only a dozen episodes, give it a go.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got some opinions on all of this! Goes without saying this is all down to taste and I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with what youā€™ve said :smiley:

Only decent? :open_mouth:

Iā€™ve not watched it in a long time but was my favourite anime for a long time. Might have just been me as an impressionable teen, but thought the love story at the heart of it was great.

Yeah it got silly very quickly. Really loved the first couple of arcs but it sorta went off the rails after that. The filler was atrocious too.

Really really great and funny. Loved this show

The third season gets a bit more shonen-y but still good. Thought the first two seasons were the best. Itā€™s a lot of fun though, doesnā€™t take itself seriously at all which is refreshing

Thought this was pretty great too

I preferred Brotherhood to the original anime, donā€™t know if thatā€™s a hot take or not. But thought that was one of the best anime Iā€™ve watched

Iā€™ve read the manga rather than watched the animeā€¦ yes itā€™s gross and twisted, but itā€™s really something special. Iā€™m not gonna say ā€˜it takes half a season to get into itā€™ :wink: but the first arc doesnā€™t really do the rest of it justice. It goes places after that, shall we say.

Thereā€™s a few different versions I think - I enjoyed the two I watched, but they were both pretty short and found them ultimately a bit unsatisfying

I guess it does drag on but itā€™s definitely not like Bleach. Thereā€™s a reason itā€™s still going and that the manga has recently outsold Batman, 24 years after itā€™s inception. Itā€™s utterly ridiculous but of full of charm, magic, and in between the silly childish stuff thereā€™s a lot of really heavy, emotional, heartbreaking, stories. Thereā€™s like a billion characters but Oda still keeps them memorable and unique, and the manga is remarkably consistent even after 1000(!) chapters. The anime suffers from pacing and filler a little like any shonen adaptation but itā€™s still pretty good for the most part. I was sucked into it after watching little bits of the Water 7 and Arlong Park arcs, so didnā€™t come at it fresh from the start, but would recommend watching up to the end of the Arlong Park arc. Think that has a bit of everything that the show has to offer and youā€™ll know after that if itā€™s worth sticking with.

One of the best shows of all time!!!.. Maybe a little bit edgy in hindsight? I donā€™t know, Iā€™ve not watched it in a long time. But I found it completely gripping, at least for the first half of it.

Thereā€™s a remake of DBZ called Dragonball Z Kai which cuts out a lot of those long bits and is much, much better in terms of pace. Would recommend if you want to give it a proper go. Itā€™s still pretty silly of course.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with you on this TvDC.
Obvs opinion is key but I was scratching my head a bit when I was just reading description of all the best shows ver being slated or down as okay.
The movies section had me scratching my head too and not just because ā€˜My Neighbours The Yamadasā€™ and Princess Kaguya ARE Ghibli films.

1 Like

oh yeah this was good! Not normally the kind of thing I would expect myself to have much interest in either

1 Like

In general, I intensely dislike forms of entertainment that have a lot of violence (physical and sexual), torture of children, body horror, etc. Sometimes that sort of thing doesnā€™t cause mental distress for me but mostly it very much does and I wonā€™t watch it.
I go back and forth a lot on One Piece - the two episodes I saw were very enjoyable but then I read something about the filler (god, why is filler so awful!) and think, naw, not worth the time and effort. I dunno.
Iā€™ve watched the beginning arcs of Dragonball Z Kai and DBZ Super! I did like them (because silliness) but itā€™s another one of those that takes time to watch and Iā€™m doing other stuff right now.

One reason I donā€™t watch videos much is that I only have my laptop for videos and Iā€™m also one of those people who is nearly always doing something else while a video is playing (folding clothes, brushing the cat, yada yada) and thatā€™s harder to do with this small device. Iā€™m pretty sure that comes from not being allowed to watch much TV as a child and we often didnā€™t have a working tv anyway. Iā€™m better about sitting still to watch shows and movies if Iā€™m with someone else of like mind, though.

Iā€™m currently watching a Chinese adventure drama that has some horrifying parasitic insects/worms in it and I have to squinch my eyes and hope the characters stop talking about them and flee the area now now now now now. And then I have to watch a silly cartoon right after or Iā€™ll have unpleasant dreams.

thought nge took about ten eps to get going too. itā€™s probably better on a rewatch cause you know whatā€™s coming and why itā€™s like that thematically, but before the larger arc gets going itā€™s incredibly formulaic and basic

Thatā€™s all absolutely fair enough! And yeah, no surprise you wanted to get rid of Berserk as quickly as possible.

With One Piece, Iā€™d say the filler is a really small percentage of the overall anime (unlike Naruto which was pretty infamous for it). The pacing is sometimes slow as a result of keeping pace with a 20-page-a-week manga, but if youā€™re bingeing it, itā€™s not really a problem. It was only an issue for me when Iā€™d caught up and had to wait a week to watch a really slow, dragged out episode.

1 Like