Is There Any Anime Lovers

I was just ignoring it

And while I’m here speaking about anime movies:
Netflix adding the original Gundam quadrilogy films this month.
One for @Kallgeese maybe?

Also the new Godzilla anime featuring Jet Jaguar! looks like fun and is out next month I think.

Actually thought their ones were good about what happened to Spike and Jet (ACAB!).

Just hope they don’t make the live action version pure dogshit.

Oh unreal! Just had a look there and this is what they’re getting:

Mobile Suit Gundam film, Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow, Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space, and Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack.

The first three of those are a condensed version of the original ‘Mobile Suit Gundam’ series and are much more watchable with cleaned up animation and new scenes. I genuinely would recommend them over watching the original series.

‘Char’s Counterattack’ is great, maybe the best Gundam OVA. However, it does skip ‘Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam’ and ‘Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ’, along with ‘0083:Stardust Memory’ (one of my favourites) so you might be a bit lost in terms of the different characters and factions. I’d say watch it anyway.

Hopefully this leads to those series I mentioned above being more readily available. I had to pirate them all in shit quality so I’d love to see them in decent quality.

1 Like

There’s the quite modern series about Chars backstory on E4 as well.

Yeah the movies are much more appealing than a big series tbh

‘Mobile Suit Gundam: Origin’ is the best Gundam anime I’ve seen in years. Such care put into it and enjoyable to watch even if you don’t know about anything they’re referencing. I’d say you could even start with that, it’s so fucking good.

2 Likes

It’s on my ‘to watch’ list. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::+1:

1 Like

Did you watch Gundam unicorn? @Kallgeese

Yep, I did indeed. I like a lot about it, especially going back to the founding of the Earth Federation and the history. Some of the animation I didn’t like, mainly the stuff that added in CGI.

I like NGE and some Ghibli but don’t really know much else. If there’s anything as atmospherically confident as NGE, pls hit me up with it.

Is amy anime horror any good? Feel like there should be some, surely

Yeah thought it was a bit of a mixed bag. The Gundam designs were great but just thought the ending was a bit Meh.
The whole Chars evil half created this other vuy stuff was suitably zany.

Ever watched Death Note?
Reckon it’s good atmospheric cat and mouse crime mixed with good supernatural gubbins.

Full Metal Alchemist is also class.

Fucking forgot about that! Will probably watch the film version again some morning with the child. GF does not care for anime one bit so don’t have much time to watch it these days.

1 Like

Didn’t know there was a film version. Might watch that after the original Gundam films as its the same time line.
Mrs TWI likes some anime but aye end up watching some after she goes to sleep or if I’m off work.

I did see that. Still a bit hmmmm but maybe will give it a go in the future.

Am I right in thinking the series was cancelled by the broadcaster before the show’s creators intended due to contemporary events in Japan? It was certainly very abrupt.

1 Like

Oh yes that one with his police partner and the convict ship was pretty good. Fair enough.

Just a subjective opinion, isn’t it? No-one’s objectively right or wrong here but I struggle to remember the last time I was so embarrassed to be watching a film with another human being in the room by the end.

Edit: before any of you bring it up the song is great, the accompanying visuals and plot point are not.

1 Like

We are all free to have our own wrong opinions :grin:

You’re definitely right about it being difficult to show to someone else who isn’t deeply invested in it

1 Like

Tbh my wife(the person I watched the film with) was equally as invested in the NGE world as I was at the start of the film, both of us having watched the series together and generally loving it in spite of its problematic elements.

We were equally appalled and embarrassed by the movie itself (actually I’m pretty sure she was even more appalled by it than I was) :smiley:

So for us I guess the embarrasment goes a bit deeper than watching it with someone who doesn’t understand what came before and is more to do with how we perceived the content. It is what it is.

1 Like

4 Likes