Is There Any Anime Lovers

I mean, I can see her point…

2 Likes

Yup, scummy fanboys going to scum

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying this. Not strictly anime, but feels anime-adjacent.

1 Like

Tokyo Godfathers is good, a nice little Christmas film.

2 Likes

Paranoia Agent is ten episodes long. It feels very frustrating because it only ties together in the last episode but it’s one of the TV shows I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Started watching Cowboy Bebop. Found the first two episodes quite jarring - just straight into it, no back story, no lore, which is fine, you pick up the world building as you go, but also I don’t really know these characters or care about them… does that stuff grow through it? Because every episode is just “chase a new target, hijinks ensue”, I might not stick with it.

Yes.
It gets a bit darker, there’s a massive time jump, but it stays goofy as hell. I love it because it’s so daft and fun but if you’re not enjoying it, it might not be for you.

1 Like

Oh man Bebop just went for the jugular (Jupiter jazz pt 2)

Absolutely amazing bit of TV. The slow creep of loneliness in the show has been really effective. Less cool, more feels and I love it.

1 Like

Finished Cowboy Bebop last night.

Kind of think the closest comparison I can think of is… Doctor Who? In that each week is a new villain / monster / setting allowing different parodies or styles, with a bit of dark overhanging story for some of the characters which occasionally comes to the surface.

Enjoyed it on the whole - the style, design, animation, music is fantastic throughout. But very quite patchy and inconsequential? I know people love them but didn’t really understand the point of Ed and Ein at all. Ed just seemed to be a plot device for when something techy was needed and Ein was just… a dog. Which is fine. But still, calm down, it’s just a dog.

1 Like

I don’t know, but that might make sense. Although not sure what else it would have dug into.

I shouldn’t complain really, not every TV series needs to be a complex arc of lore with some philosophical thesis to expound on. Sometimes it can just be 20 mins of gun fights and quips.

1 Like

I watched it because i saw some thing about how people had called it ‘The Wire’ of anime. Which… yeah.

Anime is quite weird though, the fans really go hard for things that just seem quite unremarkable. Like, this is supposedly an iconic quote and it’s just like… okay? And?

Lol really?! It’s the least Wire like show I can think of.

One thing I didn’t mention was that I watched with dubs and subs (I have subs on everything regardless of language generally) and noticed the dub seemed way better - funnier, better references, more dramatic. I think it’s been quite highly praised over the years, but yeah seemed much more engaging than the subs (even if that hews closer to the original Japanese).

2 Likes

Oh for the days when Food Network showed endless Man vs Food and Diners Drive-Ins and Dives episodes late into every night, and I’d stay up way past any reasonable bedtime even though I’d seen them all dozens of times before

cowboy bebop seems obviously better than the wire to me, but I also don’t watch tv for philosophical themes

I voted Cowboy Bebop because I am a child who prefers cartoons/anime to live action tv.

Been watching Serial Experiments Lain and enjoying it but can only take in one episode at a time because it is quite sad. Really like Lain’s character design because apparently they did just ask “how would a 14 year old girl cut their own hair?”.

2 Likes

Do you prefer the sistine chapel ceiling, or an NFT bored ape

just watched this for the first time

not an ELO fan but that’s class

(no, but this is jawdropping)

1 Like

Toy Galaxy on youtube have just done a video on the history of the DAICON 3 & 4 videos if you fancy a watch of it. Only about 25 minutes too.

1 Like
6 Likes