It's DIS Poll time! ... Your Albums of the Decade please

A thread for you to put your albums of the decade. I’ll run it along similar lines to the end of year thread I also collate, but this time I’m looking for a top 10. So what I need to you to do is put in this thread:

1. The artist who released your favourite album of 2010-2019 - Name of album
  2. The artist who released your 2nd favourite album of 2010-2019 - Name of album
  3. You get the idea
  4. etc
  5. and so on
  6. blah
  7. blah
  8. yadda
  9. yadda
  10. The artist who released your 10th favourite album of 2010-2019 - Name of album

I’ll keep the thread open until at least the start of October so you have a bit over a month to get your submission perfect. And much like with the end of year polls albums in 1st place will get 10 points, down to one point for for albums in 10th place.

Please, please, please just lists of albums in this thread - and in the format above. I’ll only use the first submission in this thread from each user so if you stick something in here and then need to change it … tough. Anything else just makes this task far too time consuming to try and piece together different posts. And all chat to go in this thread:

Happy polling!

9 Likes

How can you leave the poll open until October? What if a blinder of an album is released from October - December?

1 Like

Yeah, a great example being Kanye releasing Album of the Decade contender MBDTF on the date of 22nd November.

1 Like

How about we wait til the decade is over?

6 Likes

I think it’s good to do it now. Realistically 2019 albums are at a disadvantage, waiting a few extra months won’t make a significant difference.

Could always do a follow up thread in 2020 where we highlight ‘under the radar’ albums that didn’t get nominated - that could potentially pick up late breaking all time classics?

All the aotd lists will be being put together now so it will be nice to see how DiS compares and as with the aoty lists will be a great way to reflect and discover.

2 Likes

If something from the last months of 2019 really makes it into your 10 best of the decade, I’d question how much you actually loved those 10 to start with.

(Said as a man who won’t have any 2019 albums in the list, so take with big pinch o salt)

Sorry for all the text posts @Prob500!

Think I summed up my thought process already.

But here you go: Best Albums of the 1980s : Best Ever Albums

3 out of the top 6 (including #1; Doolittle, Stone Roses and Disintegration) all 1989.

Edit: I appreciate it would be far more relevant to reference a poll made in actual 1989/1990, but these albums were extremely well received upon release.

2 or 3 months is a long amount of time

And if I’d been making a decade list at the time, very possible I wouldn’t have included any of them. Even though I love them now.

Not saying anyone is wrong of course, just that my album of the year list always looks very different a year later. But it’s still fun to make it as it was at the time, and then can always see how feelings change.

Not enough for me to fall in love with something over an album I’ve been listening to 10 times as long

Despite what I said in the other thread I doubt there will be anything released in the next few months that will immediately be seen as an AOTD for me so here are my ten (which contains nothing from 2019 anyway)

1. John Grant - Queen of Denmark
  2. A Forest of Stars - Beware The Sword You Cannot See
  3. Run The Jewels - RTJ3
  4. Chaos Moon - Eschaton Mémoire
  5. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
  6. Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas - Mariner
  7. A Winged Victory For The Sullen - s/t
  8. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
  9. Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
  10. Crippled Black Phoenix - I Vigilante

I agree with you. Such is the nature of polls like these - contrast any such lists from publications upon release with their later revisions. Just look at the Mercury Prize… it’s exactly why I don’t take it seriously in the slightest.

1 Like

Wait for half a year and run it in june 2020

Fuck it, do it in 2030

8 Likes
  1. David Bowie - Blackstar
  2. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
  3. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
  4. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
  5. Low - Double Negative
  6. Vince Staples - Summertime ‘06
  7. Lykke Li - I Never Learn
  8. Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City
  9. Joanna Newsom - Divers
  10. Richard Dawson - Nothing Important

Top 3 are streets ahead. Could have chosen any of twenty or thirty thereafter.

5 Likes

Having seen it live the other day, I’d really rather wait until Two Hands by Big Thief is released

2 Likes

I also would like to see this polled after (or at least open until after) the albums of the year lists. I’m sure we all find albums at that time of year that we might otherwise have missed or overlooked.

1 Like

Ok, usual caveat of regretting every choice I make aside, there were a bunch of incredible albums that just missed the mark; my initial #1 was Wild Beasts - Two Dancers, but it was literally a decade old this month so missed the 2010 start point, which is shocking.

1. Everything Everything - Get To Heaven
  2. Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
  3. Hot Chip - One Life Stand
  4. Boards Of Canada - Tomorrow’s Harvest
  5. The Haxan Cloak - Excavation
  6. Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III)
  7. Holly Herndon - Platform
  8. David Bowie - ★
  9. Kamasi Washington - Harmony Of Difference
  10. A Winged Victory For The Sullen - A Winged Victory For The Sullen
2 Likes

Why are we not doing a poll for album of 2019 now then?! Why wait til December?! I don’t have a problem with the 2010-2019 poll being available now but at least leave it running until December instead of it being closed in October.

Gosh I think rtj are in the running with 2 but I wouldn’t put 3 up there! Good shout anyway I’m sure the hip hop authenticity police will be along shortly to pour scorn regardless :wink:

I’m no hip hop expert, don’t listen to a great deal but now and again an album will just click with me, I played rtj3 countless times and never got tired of it. I love the other two as well but 3 just does it for me.

2 Likes