It's DIS Poll time! ... Your Albums of the Decade please

I think so - but that’s different to a decade list because you are comparing an album you’ve known for a month to, say, an album you’ve known for ten months so that’s a pretty fair comparison. It’s really different to compare a record you’ve known for two months to one you’ve known for eight or ten years.

Personally I tend to listen to records a lot when they come out and then move on to something new - I only really go back to the good things some time later (and that’s partly how I know they are good). For me therefore albums that have come out this year are mostly still in that ‘maybe’ category. With records that came out two years ago or more ago I am pretty sure how much I rate them.

1 Like

Having said that in terms of affect on me as a person something like:

A Crow Looked at Me (Mount Eerie)
Masterpiece (Big Thief),
Attack on Memory (Cloud Nothings)
Carrie & Lowell (Sufjan)
I don’t like Shit I don’t go Outside (Earl Sweatshirt)
Damn (Kendrick)
Lost in the Dream (War on Drugs)
David Comes to LIfe (Fucked Up)
Knife Man (AJJ)
Honeybear (FJM)

Excluding just local hardcore records and stuff

3 Likes

It’s your list so do whatever feels right of course :slight_smile: But I definitely like the idea of it happening this year when we’re ready all the other lists and having that debate, and will make for something fun on here for Xmas time.

If it stays til Jan, then probably won’t be compiled to Feb, and then it all seems a bit old and like we’ve already moved onto best albums of Jan 2020 etc …

Pretty happy with this:

1. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

2. Grouper - Ruins

3. Joanna Newsom - Divers

4. Jenny Hval - Blood Bitch

5. The Twilight Sad - No One Can Ever Know

6. Grouper - Alien Observer

7. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me

8. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

9. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual

10. Beach House - Teen Dream

3 Likes

But that’s you. We’re all different. I have a top 10 that goes without saying but…
There are certain acts that I’m obsessed with . e.g Aphex Twin, Chromatics, Portishead. IF and I know it’s a big IF. If they dropped an album this year it could blow things out of the park. My list would then need a rethink. That’s my fear. I personally would rather post my top 10 in December. Would @Prob500 mind leaving the poll until December please?

2 Likes

I might be prepared to make an exception for a new Portishead record, but sadly I think it’s unlikely to be an issue this year.

1 Like

I started with 3 and worked backwards. Enjoy both 3 and 2 but never really got into 1

Love RTJ1. Got it on LP without hearing it first when it come out and it blew my head off.

Tough decisions for this.

1. The Arcade Fire - the Suburbs
  2. The National - High Violent
  3. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
  4. Fucked Up - David Comes to Life
  5. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
  6. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
  7. Sun Kil Moon - Benji
  8. The Hotelier - Goodness
  9. Chvrches - the Bones of What You Believe
    10 The World is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die - Harmlessness

I reckon in a month or so Basking in the Glow by Oso Oso would probably sneak in.

This is my favourite by a mile. Really didn’t enjoy 2 and don’t think I’ve listened to 3 at all.

1 Future Of The Left - How To Stop Your Brain In An Accident
2 IDLES - Brutalism
3 Jeff Rosenstock - -POST
4 Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time
5 Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
6 Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City
7 The Weeknd - House of Balloons
8 Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE
9 Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
10 Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold

Brockhampton - iridescence
Ariana Grande - sweetener
Kamasi Washington - heaven and earth
The Weekend - house of balonz
The 1975 - a brief enquiry into online relationships
Tame Impala - lonerism
Janelle Monae - the archandroid
Car seat headrest - teens of denial
Fka twigs - lp1

2 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes

I would rather not run the decade poll alongside the usual end of year poll. Given this thread has largely morphed into another chat thread I think the best option is to retire this now, put all chat back in the chat thread, and resurrect the decade poll in the new year with a new thread.

1 Like

Thank you for being understanding and for putting the effort into this.

2 Likes

They’re all great in their own ways, but IMO 3 is just about the best. Very hard to pick between them, though.

At the moment I would go with this. Maybe ATCQ or some Protomartyr/Big Thief could get in there.

Tempted to swap the top two but even after so long, LES still sounds amazing every time I listen.

1. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
  2. David Bowie - Blackstar
  3. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
  4. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
  5. Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else
  6. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
  7. Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time
  8. The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace is there
  9. Slowdive - Slowdive
  10. Low - Double Negative

Edit: replaced Be the Cowboy with Slowdive.

2 Likes

I hope that @Prob500 isn’t feeling put out by the response in this thread. Must be a massive amount of work and it’s always interesting to see the results.

Personally feel like there will be nothing released in the final sixtieth of the decade that will be able to crack my top 10. Not even Big Thief. Let’s face it, all of the websites and magazines will be doing their lists before christmas, as they did back in 2009, as far as I remember. Why should we be any different? Part of the joy of these threads (and the AOTY ones too) is looking back on them and seeing/appreciating how your opinion has changed because of seeing things differently or having missed albums the first time around.

Maybe if the thread could be kept open until the end of November? That might appease most people?

6 Likes

Fixed that for me! (agree with your point about this poll though!)

Just discovered that Born Like This was released in 2009 so I’m back to the drawing board again.