It's DIS Poll time! ... Your Albums of the Decade please

Fairy squarey! Big fan of 3 but 2 is what really works for me, they’re all bloody good though.

1 Like

Do it now, then do it again in 2030 and compare - that would be interesting.

Mate my album isnt out until the 31st December

2 Likes

I’m all for compiling this before year-end. Can’t realistically see anything building up sufficient emotional connection in that time to displace any of these.

1. Everything Everything - Get To Heaven
  2. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
  3. Shackleton - Music For The Quiet Hour
  4. Let’s Eat Grandma - I’m All Ears
  5. Bvdub - Serenity
  6. Everything Everything - Fever Dream
  7. Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
  8. Eleven Tigers - Clouds Are Mountains
  9. Hotel Neon - Context
  10. Everything Everything - Arc
4 Likes

So, this has generated far more debate than I anticipated.

I had thought this would be the best time for it as tied in with the end of year threads would result in poll (and list) fatigue. And I’d anticipate end of decade lists on other sites will start popping up this side of the end of the year. But fair enough if people think that releases between now and end of year will change their lists, so let’s call it off until the new year.

Premature though they may be, I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone else’s lists so hopefully people will keep posting their preliminary Top 10s in the other thread. They’re great for reminding me of albums I’d forgotten about and stuff that I’ve yet to listen to.

Can’t we just leave this running til Jan instead of October?

I think now is fine - it’s really hard to envisage an album coming out this late in the decade that you would be sure got in the top ten. Realistically you have to have lived with a record for a while to rate it that highly. I’ve only been confident enough to include one from the last 18 months.

Just wondering. Not trying to be pedantic… but with that in mind could an album released from Oct - Dec this year make it into your albums of 2019? Would you have long enough to bond with it?

God I don’t know, and I think my music taste has changed a fair bit since I was 20. It’s like if we’re going off play throughs and how I felt about them at the time it’d be very different to what i think now.

3 Likes

I think so - but that’s different to a decade list because you are comparing an album you’ve known for a month to, say, an album you’ve known for ten months so that’s a pretty fair comparison. It’s really different to compare a record you’ve known for two months to one you’ve known for eight or ten years.

Personally I tend to listen to records a lot when they come out and then move on to something new - I only really go back to the good things some time later (and that’s partly how I know they are good). For me therefore albums that have come out this year are mostly still in that ‘maybe’ category. With records that came out two years ago or more ago I am pretty sure how much I rate them.

1 Like

Having said that in terms of affect on me as a person something like:

A Crow Looked at Me (Mount Eerie)
Masterpiece (Big Thief),
Attack on Memory (Cloud Nothings)
Carrie & Lowell (Sufjan)
I don’t like Shit I don’t go Outside (Earl Sweatshirt)
Damn (Kendrick)
Lost in the Dream (War on Drugs)
David Comes to LIfe (Fucked Up)
Knife Man (AJJ)
Honeybear (FJM)

Excluding just local hardcore records and stuff

3 Likes

It’s your list so do whatever feels right of course :slight_smile: But I definitely like the idea of it happening this year when we’re ready all the other lists and having that debate, and will make for something fun on here for Xmas time.

If it stays til Jan, then probably won’t be compiled to Feb, and then it all seems a bit old and like we’ve already moved onto best albums of Jan 2020 etc …

Pretty happy with this:

1. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

2. Grouper - Ruins

3. Joanna Newsom - Divers

4. Jenny Hval - Blood Bitch

5. The Twilight Sad - No One Can Ever Know

6. Grouper - Alien Observer

7. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me

8. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

9. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual

10. Beach House - Teen Dream

3 Likes

But that’s you. We’re all different. I have a top 10 that goes without saying but…
There are certain acts that I’m obsessed with . e.g Aphex Twin, Chromatics, Portishead. IF and I know it’s a big IF. If they dropped an album this year it could blow things out of the park. My list would then need a rethink. That’s my fear. I personally would rather post my top 10 in December. Would @Prob500 mind leaving the poll until December please?

2 Likes

I might be prepared to make an exception for a new Portishead record, but sadly I think it’s unlikely to be an issue this year.

1 Like

I started with 3 and worked backwards. Enjoy both 3 and 2 but never really got into 1

Love RTJ1. Got it on LP without hearing it first when it come out and it blew my head off.

Tough decisions for this.

1. The Arcade Fire - the Suburbs
  2. The National - High Violent
  3. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
  4. Fucked Up - David Comes to Life
  5. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
  6. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
  7. Sun Kil Moon - Benji
  8. The Hotelier - Goodness
  9. Chvrches - the Bones of What You Believe
    10 The World is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die - Harmlessness

I reckon in a month or so Basking in the Glow by Oso Oso would probably sneak in.