It's finally here! The 'Recommend me a Toaster' thread you've been waiting for!

I totally would have got the toast and bean one if I’d have got my own way

Just use the grill on the oven - makes better toast anyway and doesn’t take up valuable side space

My parents have had that one too for about 20 years. I got the matching kettle and feel like a grown up for the first time ever.

2 Likes

Rarely eat toast or toast things in a toaster. We have a silver toaster that toasts bread and other bready items not very much on the lowest setting or too much on the highest setting, and everything in between, depending on where you set the dial, much like all other toasters. It wasn’t expensive, or cheap. Breville I think. Currys PC World if I remember correctly about 4 years back. Matching kettle still in fine working order due to regular de-scaling, as we are in a hard water area of course.

Could just buy a biscuit tin to match I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those toasters are essentially made for caterers so they are built to last. They are really simple so there is not much that can go wrong on them. The clockwork timer broke on ours but it was easily fixed. It’s good to have things that can be fixed instead of being disposable.

My theory of ‘buy really cheap or really expensive’ applies to all similar items too. The first fridge freezer we bought when first got a house was cheap but it only lasted two years. After that we paid three times as much for a Miele one that is still going strong more than twenty years later (although some of the plastic bits inside have some gaffa tape reinforcement these days).

3 Likes

Some sort of 4 slice Tefal thing that was given to me by my nan. Probably about 20yrs old atm. I’ve had it since 2012 and is was old before then. Works fine. Probably an old Avanti model

1 Like

My partner got a way too expensive Hay toaster because she likes how it looks and… it’s a really shit toaster.

1 Like

4 slice cheap option from Argos

Got a Bosch brushed steel jobber for £30. It toasts bread and has a rack you can warm croissants etc on. That’s as fancy as I need.

Currently the second cheapest at John Lewis, but in an 'orrible cream colour, so I’d probably be getting the J-Lew own brand brushed steel one for £25 instead.

1 Like

See if I’d had to pick someone to uphold the theory of Vimes’ boots Theo, it would have been you.

I’ve gone for the super spenny dualit linked above on the grounds that it is repairable and designed for things to be replaced if need be and should hopefully be the last toaster i ever buy. Far better for the environment and in the long run for my wallet than buying and chucking an argos toaster every five years.

Toasters are a miserable piece of tech. Sadly unavoidable since the eye-level has grill is such a rarity, but they’re all not quite good enough at doing what you need. And yes, my stepdad has a Dualit and it’s still just an object of disappointment.