1 Like

SO GOOD! SO GOOD! SO GOOD!

IIIINNNNTEL INSIIIIIDDDDE
PEN-TI-UM!

1 Like

9 Likes

Well, it’s one louder isn’t it?

3 Likes

Were there ever any comedy sketches which incorporated this? Seems like a wasted opportunity if not

wish I could remember this

Intel still use 5 digit codes like the 80386 and 80486 ones internally - the Pentium, Core, Atom etc names are just branding because they’re not allowed to trademark numbers.

1 Like

Was a pentium (1) better than a 486?

I absolutely knew this when I was 11.

Yes. It was the successor to the i486

someone’s got some good intel

9 Likes

:grimacing:

Now this is a language I could understand!

Still remember our poor old 386 trying to process Champ Man 93 games.

2 Likes

death?

1 Like

You also forgot

8088 < 8086 < 80286 < 80386SX < 80386 < 80486SX/DX*

*given my recollection that the SX on a 486 was purely removing the 80487 maths co-processor the speed difference could easily be negligible depending on what you were using it for.

1 Like

I don’t believe this is quite right. The Celeron wasn’t really a processor in its own right but a cheaper, cut-down version of a given Pentium type just with a standard name to make stuff less obvious.

Yeah the Core2x type variants didn’t help!

Also that Pentium in the middle you’ve got after ‘Atom’ is sort of three: Pentium M (for low-powered, long battery machines IIRC), Pentium D/EE and then two two “Intel Pentium” chips they did before Core in

You’ve forgotten the Xeon chips too!!

1 Like

I was gonna mention the Xeon chips, but they’re their own separate thing for servers, and the numbered lines I skipped because they’re less fun to take the piss out of the naming of :slight_smile:

Bang to rights on the second era of Pentium variations tho.

1 Like

Whilst you’re going full Theo; is a Mac book pro better than a similar prices Dell XPS?

Theo has arrived!!!

4 Likes

Well I’d have agreed except a couple of months back I was shopping on Lenovo for a dev laptop now they have the Xeon chips alongside i5s and i7s with all the other specs the same, so I think they’ve moved out of that now?