I've come back to DiS after about four years and I have some questions

I cannot believe as a young man you would heat your plates but as old man you don’t? Its definitely not a young man thing to do.

4 Likes

Did you recover ok @zxcvbnm2 ?

4 Likes

The excitement of hot plates is a young person’s game. As we age the mundanity of luke warm food plays an important metaphorical role as we prepare for our inevitable deaths.

1 Like

it actually gets worse for FFS

4 Likes

Poor (warm) sausage.

Also I totally stand by what I said in that thread about restaurants not deliberately heating plates but heating plates just cause thats where the plates live/sit for a bit. Anyone wanna pick that beeve up?

theo might?

that can’t be true

Of course it is.
Prepared plates sit on the pass under heaters so your food doesn’t go cold.
The hotter your plate the longer your food has been sitting around waiting for service, or more likely, your friends late running plates.
Ever been told your plate is hot when you’re dining alone? Nope.

1 Like

I don’t go to restaurants I’m not rich

This thread is now about 3 posts away from it being decided that going to restaurants is “massively tory”.

2 Likes

Going to restaurants

• Something people should do three times a day, every day
  • Massively Tory

0 voters

The first draft of R.E.M’s seminal ballad didn’t quite have the same ring to it.

4 Likes

To take advantage of economies of scale, maybe we should all be eating in mega-restaurants all the time. Like, a million people eating some chicken stir-fry thing tonight, all spending time making it and buying ingredients for themselves, when it could be mass-produced at lower costs. It should be illegal to eat at home.

2 Likes

I may not have completely thought this through

1 Like

Having strangers bring food to you on a plate whilst you sit and do fuck all is really demeaning. Some of the people who go to restaurants even complain if their food isn’t perfect!

Don’t be hard on yourself, you have thought it through

1 Like

Then you have no reason to doubt the truth of @anon44830896’s statement!

My reasoning was that if it was being heated as a byproduct and not intentionally then it could be dangerously hot and burn people’s hands if it was left too long. That would be really unsafe

i genuinely don’t think i have ever been to a restaurant where i’ve thought; that was definitely worth five times the price i would’ve paid for something similar at home

thankfully, this pessimistic outlook means i have very few friends to eat out with.

2 Likes

Which is why you usually would be told that your plate is hot.
You could send it away I guess and ask for your food to be brought back on a cold plate, but as you suggest, that would be demeaning.