I've got some questions about this £15 minimum wage stuff...

2 Likes

We were never in the union to begin with, you nerds

1 Like

That is legit disgusting

1 Like

And like 3 days off for annual leave??

1 Like

Legal minimum is 28 days or 5.6 weeks, I think.

1 Like

This is more than i make by quite a bit.

Oh hang on, not 40 hours though :see_no_evil: I’m 30 or something like that

2 Likes

just find it funny that they can’t even be arsed to keep the whole show they made themselves running by doing things like paying people more and decreasing rent etc.

1 Like

That’s what the government tax calculator said, based on a 1257L tax code. Guess people could be on different tax codes, and have pensions and other deductions.

(Just clocked your edit).

The main opponents to having any minimum wage at all said that it’d lead to mass staff cuts. It didn’t because companies need workers, basically.

7 Likes

One of the standard arguments against minimum wages is small firms not being able to afford to employ people.

Not sure how I feel about this tbh because I tend to feel if you can’t pay your staff a living wage the reality is you don’t have a sustainable business.

I actually worked before there was any minimum wage. Absolute fucking misery.

6 Likes

Do you think there should be a London allowance?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Think it depends. For those travelling in everyday it still makes sense but it’s annoying in my job where people are working from home (outside of London) and still getting paid about 10k more than me doing the exact same role. It’s not exactly cheap here these days!

Completely anecdotal this, but I think most people in my position generally agree. Regardless of pay, the conditions in “skilled” jobs are way better than “unskilled”. I spent the first 11 years of my working life in “unskilled” work (retail, wharehouse, hospitality, call centre), and then the last 3 in “skilled” work (IT). I’m pretty sure that in most places, the more you get paid, the easier your work is and the better you’re treated. Hospitality could pay twice as much as I’m on now and there’s no way in hell I’d go back.

17 Likes

London weighting as it generally stands is a blunt instrument, but if we’re into the principle of pay for a decent living standard, it also stands that those who have higher basic living costs (be it rent, travel, food or whatever) probably should be better compensated for equal effort.

Whether that’s achievable in a fair or reasonable way though is probably a completely different question. (I suspect not).

1 Like

Inverse weighting to force them to go work in Barnsley etc

1 Like

That doesn’t mean increasing it won’t result in unemployment though. The reality is no-one knows what the effect would be.

This is of course true, but the entire basis of human knowledge is prior experience. It could result in unemployment, we just know every time it has been enforced or increased - it hasnt.

5 Likes

I’m not sure that’s true. I believe there’s been some evidence that large rises have had negative effects

Maybe - I can’t think of any in the UK’s history though specifically because we’re usually well behind the curve on it - and the fact is going up to £15 would still be well behind the curve we’re facing.