I've just had a heated argument with the TV about the friends theme tune

The lyrics go:

When it hasn’t been your day, your week, your month
Or even your year

I argued that the word even makes the lyric nonsensical. It should’ve been the other way round. Its vanishingly unlikely that it could have been your year if within that year it wasn’t at least once your day, your week or your month.

She argued that I’ve read into it far too much and to please please shut up about it.

And so it must be settled:

• You’re completely right: the rembrants and by extension the friends have really fucked it with this one
  • She’s right, the lyric could relate to a series of non temporally-specific positive events that when considered as a whole could be described as ‘your year’
  • You’re both wankers

0 voters

When it hasn’t been your year, your month, your week
Or even your day

Much better

Think it’s fine tbh

Would be better if it was “let alone your year” I guess

4 Likes

YES!

it’s like you’re always stuck in the parking bay…

2 Likes

On a similar note, recently had an argument with a colleague over the Blondie lyric: “Cold as ice cream but still as sweet”. He said it made no sense and should say “Cold as ice cream and still as sweet” because ice cream is both cold and sweet. But I reckon the but is necessary because someone who is cold is generally NOT sweet, hence the but.

• BUT still as sweet
  • AND still as sweet

0 voters

should be…
‘but just as sweet’

maybe?

maybe not actually…

not sure

1 Like

Might change my vote to “You’re both wankers” on the grounds I’ve now got the Friends theme stuck in my head.

9 Likes

Not being your year, is not the absence of being someone’s year it is the opposite, it has been a bad year. To have a bad day is likely, bad week less likely, an entire bad year even more unlikely, justifying the use of the word even

25 Likes

When it hasn’t been your day, your week, your month
Or even MY SANDWICH?!!

14 Likes

It’s a strange one, as strongly as I feel about the friends theme tune (very) I am ambivalent about this one.

Hmmm. This is probably how my wife feels and why she was so adamant that I stop bothering her about it

You’re wrong, and you’re a grotesquely ugly freak.

6 Likes

THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.

I am angry that this wasn’t an option on the poll.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I understand, but it is likely that it’s just that my brain has entered a state of denial

It being someone’s year is when loads of good things have happened, if that hasn’t happened but nothing bad has happened no one would tell them it hasn’t been their year, you would only say that if there had been actual bad events

Think its quite a good song the full version

it’s like your soul has started to decay…

The middle eight is good, is that not in the theme song?

I suppose you could argue that a REALLY good FRIEN*D would be there for you over a WHOLE year of 2nd gearness, whilst a less good friend might bail after a bad day, week or month, and wouldn’t be there for you for the entire bad year.

1 Like

Going Up The Country by Canned Heat

“I’m going up the country where the water tastes like wine”

If my water tasted like wine, pal, I’d be on to Severn Trent first thing in the morning

3 Likes