I've just had a heated argument with the TV about the friends theme tune

Looks like I owe the TV an apology that she won’t be getting

12 Likes

It’s a great power pop song. Much better than the TV series :sunglasses:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

3 Likes

This song makes my skin crawl

Have chose both wankers only because your friend should really have gone to town on how absolutely wrong you are here, she’s been far too lenient.

3 Likes

I’ve just looked up the lyrics and I think there is some more mileage in this.

Everyone in this thread had taken the lyrics out of context!

‘It’s like you’re always stuck in second gear, when it hasn’t been your day, your week, your month or even your year, but’

The day, week, month, year refers to being ‘stuck in second gear’, it does not refer to the song’s narrator ‘being there’ for the subject of the song.

The subject would feel stuck in 2nd gear if it hadn’t been their year, and would all in likelihood feel less stuck in 2nd gear the shorter amount of time they had to endure said period of time not bring ‘theirs’ (year, month, week, day)

1 Like

They are not saying that!!! Please see my recent post!!!

1 Like

Having a bad year has a lot more gravity to it than a bad day; what starts as off-hand reassurance (“when it hasn’t been your day”) evolves into recognition of a much broader period of being down on your luck. The “even” articulates this sympathy, with a deep sigh, as if to say: “I hear you”.

A single tear rolls down my cheek

2 Likes

You could have a bad day in 1986, a bad week in 1989, a bad month in 1992, and a bad year in 2020. There’s no implication that these are running concurrently.

Weird that at first I thought your other half was totally correct, but then my brain switched it into you being correct, like the blue and gold dress

1 Like

Just the first verse and chorus

https://images.app.goo.gl/m6ezDaMKmXHKvQWq5

@still_he_persisted this is something that’s always annoyed me too and do you know what, seeing the pasting you’ve had from the other members of this forum has made me even more adamant that the Rembrandts fucked it

1 Like

I like reading this thread subject in the way 99.99999% of the world would.

2 Likes
  • it hasn’t been your day refers to today only
  • it hasn’t been your day refers to all recent days, i.e. you haven’t had a good day in the past few weeks
  • it hasn’t been your day refers to any day in the past, i.e. you’ve never had a good day since you were born

0 voters

F.R.I.E.N.D.S should check in with each other on a daily basis.

Did any of the friends have an entire bad year though?

A F.R.I.E.N.D would know

It refers to the feeling of being stuck in second gear.

So can be any day at all, the only condition is the second gear sensation

1 Like

I always heard it as “Well it hasn’t been your day…”, not “When it hasn’t been your day…”

:thinking: